Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Marcom is Apple’s Global Marketing Communications group. We oversee all of Apple’s advertising and marketing to ensure the flawless development and execution of world-class communications. The Apple Type team is looking for a highly motivated and creative engineer to work on Marketing Communications font projects. The individual will work with Marcom to develop fonts for use in Apple advertising and product communications worldwide. As part of the Type team, the engineer will become intimately familiar with Font technologies used by the software team. We are seeking an engineer with a strong foundation in the structure of international fonts. Experience with Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Arabic, or Indic fonts are a huge plus.
- You have deep Font Engineering experience on non-Latin and complex scripts: Experience merging fonts from multiple glyph sources, understanding of font tables and OpenType format specification, understanding OpenType features
- You are fluent with font editing tools such as FontLab Studio 5, Glyphs, FontForge and or RoboFont
- You are familiar with command line editing tools such as AFDKO, TTX Fonts Tools and/or Apple Font Tool Suite (FTX)
- SWQA methodology for multi-platform web fonts and desktop fonts
- You have experience with source management systems, preferably git
- Scripting expertise, preferably Python
You have validated experience with development tools on Mac, as well as knowledge of Unicode principles. You have familiarity with OpenType or AAT layout tables and are comfortable using web font formats and testing. We adhere to font performance requirements and require experience with shaping tables for Adobe apps. You are a self-directed self-starter, with strong initiative and a knack for balancing multiple projects under deadline. We use excellent communication and team skills, dedication to detail, and exceptional follow-through in order to keep focus on quality deliverables.
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree preferred.