Safer Materials and Biocompatibility Intern
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Experience Apple. There’s the typical job. Punch in, make widgets, punch out, repeat. Then there’s Apple. Where you’re inspired to defy the routine. To explore the far reaches of imagination . To travel uncharted paths. And to be a part of something far bigger than yourself. Because around here, changing the world just comes with the job description. Apple's Environmental Technologies team is seeking an intern to work with the Safer Materials and Biocompatibility group to investigate the environmental impact of chemicals in consumer electronic products, in support of Apple’s Smarter Chemistry initiative. Our mission at Environmental Technologies is to deliver the world's leading programs on the elimination of hazardous substances, improved material and energy efficiency, as well as design for environment. Apple believes that major improvements in environmental performance will be delivered through product design innovations.
- Knowledge of toxicology or related discipline
- General understanding of toxicology and hazard databases
- Experience interpreting scientific studies and data
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team of scientists and program managers
- Confident in challenging the current state of the science
- Comfortable with developing assumptions, working and making decisions with limited and imperfect data, and quantifying and identifying sources of uncertainty
Are you passionate about taking action to reduce and eliminate hazardous chemicals in consumer products, and the technologies that can enable a more sustainable supply chain? Do you want to work on challenging problems with real world impacts? Are you a committed optimist? If this describes you, you will help us identify, prioritize and solve complex technical challenges in safer material selection. You’ll work closely with a team of toxicologists and analytical chemists to explore the potential release of chemicals of interest from consumer electronic products. You’ll help to determine handling and use conditions that influence the release of these chemicals, and assess the health and environmental impacts of such chemicals. In this work, you will collaborate closely with multi-functional teams to scope projects, capture and analyze data, execute technology trials and evaluations, and present findings and recommendations as they relate to material selection decisions.
Education & Experience
MS/PhD student in toxicology or related field
- You should be:
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented
- Excellent at written and verbal communication
- Experienced managing, organizing, and maintaining large datasets
- Experienced with spreadsheets, process modeling software, and data manipulation
- Comfortable presenting to and working with both technical and non-technical teams
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.