Analytical Chemistry – Polymer Characterization Intern
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Apple is seeking an ambitious, hands-on individual to intern in our Material Science and Characterization lab. The lab is responsible for analytical chemistry analyses and material characterization of a wide variety materials used in Apple products. As a successful intern, you will have an interest in applying your knowledge in polymers and polymer characterization techniques to failure analysis issues encountered at Apple. Dynamic, inspiring people and innovative technologies are the norm here. Will you join us in helping craft solutions that do not yet exist?
- Familiarity with GPC instrumentation with preference given to candidates using GPC as part of their study program.
- Polymer or Analytical Chemistry course work is a plus.
- Knowledge of safe work practices in a lab environment and experience working around solvents, cryogens, and corrosive materials.
- Intellectual curiosity and motivated by getting instruments to work properly, determining what materials are made of, and probing the molecular mechanisms of material performance.
- Aptitude manipulating small objects while viewing through a microscope.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills including ability to seek out direction, ask clarification questions, communicate findings, and accept feedback.
- Uncommon attention to detail with ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Flexibility and adaptability to accept new tasks on short notice.
- High level of motivation, initiative, and energy.
- You will be primarily be responsible for setting up, developing, and validating methods for use of a newly acquired GPC system. - The application of the technique will be for failure analysis and characterization of polymeric materials such as plastics, elastomers, films, adhesives, etc. - You will also learn and develop basic analysis methods on a newly acquired Rheometer, using similar material systems as analyzed by GPC. - You will be expected to work on the GPC with an independent style and seek out help when road blocks are encountered such as getting guidance from supervisor and lab mates, initiating discussions with vendors/experts in the field, consulting literature, and identifying new approaches to develop standard methodologies. - You will work out the best operational methods for the GPC equipment and produce a document with the procedures. - You will document and instruct the safe operational practices to lab personnel. - You will learn and provide backup for other characterization techniques such as Cryo-Microtome, FTIR, Thermal Analysis, GC/MS, and Ion Chromatography.
Education & Experience
- Currently in an undergraduate degree program in Chemistry, Engineering, Polymer Science, Materials Science or related discipline.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.