Sr. Materials Engineer - Textiles / Yarn
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are seeking an enthusiastic engineer to drive material development in the areas of woven and knit textiles. The position requires you to drive strategic next generation materials, engage in hands-on project-based work, and establish key material supplier relationships.
- New technology/material scoping, including evaluation of supplier capabilities
- In-depth understanding of material structure (yarn experience a +) and property/performance relationship
- Strong background in characterizing and specifying materials and performance by building mathematical models and design of experiments
- Experience developing materials for high volume manufacturing
- Proven track record in peer collaboration and teamwork
- Comfort working both independently and collaboratively on tight deadlines in a supportive environment
- Strong attention to detail and resolution to solve complex problems
Responsibilities and activities for this position include the following: Creation of material specifications based on critical to quality attributes for product design. Establish and manage relationships with manufacturers/suppliers to identify emerging technologies. Collaborate with them on the development of new textile technologies to meet Apple’s product roadmap needs Develop strategic initiative for impactful sustainable material solutions. Collaborate with partner industries and companies to explore development of next generation materials Collaborate with product design and manufacturing operations groups on material selection, design feasibility and manufacturing process development
Education & Experience
MS or PhD in Chemical or Materials or Polymer or Textiles.
- At Apple we believe our products begin with our people. By hiring a diverse team we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need we drive innovation. By hiring incredible engineers we drive precision. And through our collaborative process we create memorable experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives.