Sr Renewable Energy Strategist, Global Energy & Sustainability Team
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Senior Renewable Energy Strategist will help define, refine, and implement Apple’s ongoing renewable energy strategy. Apple is a global leader in corporate renewable energy and has achieved its 100% renewable electricity goal for serving its corporate, retail, and data center facilities. But we still have much more work to do. Maintaining our historic achievements while tackling additional aspects of our corporate carbon footprint, driving the industry forward, maximizing our positive social impact, adapting to new regulations, and promoting more climate-friendly energy policies all require a redoubling of our efforts. This includes developing new renewable energy initiatives in expanding global markets, delivering cost-effective and innovative high-impact solutions, matching and allocating supply and demand in diverse geographies, and informing Apple’s policy positions on energy and climate change. The role requires deep collaboration with a broad range of Apple departments including real estate and development, corporate procurement, legal, data centers, government affairs, marketing and communications, environmental technologies, supply chain clean energy program, and the environment, policy, and social initiatives team.
- Strong experience with corporate renewable energy procurement and strategy.
- Deep knowledge of global renewable energy and REC markets and policies.
- International renewable energy and climate change experience in major North American, European, and Asian markets. Working relationships with renewable energy developers and consultants across diverse geographies.
- Experience negotiating renewable energy transactions at wholesale and retail level, including power purchase agreements, REC purchases, and equity investments.
- Understanding of carbon accounting and reporting standards, such as the WRI Greenhouse Gas Protocol. Data management and greenhouse gas reporting experience.
- Financial transaction and modeling experience.
- Strong project management and time management skills to execute on multiple priorities in a fast-paced global setting.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills and ability to collaborate seamlessly with diverse colleagues in an unstructured environment.
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinking, grounded in real-life experience and pragmatic problem solving.
Help define, and develop strategies to achieve, Apple’s global renewable energy goals. Maintain the highest standards of materiality, accountability, and positive social impact, while remaining focused on cost-effectiveness and practicality. Track Apple’s electricity loads and renewable generation by geography. Allocate generation to loads to ensure continued achievement of 100% renewable energy supply in all regions. Anticipate new emerging loads and act proactively to line up new renewable energy supplies. Track climate change policy developments, accounting standards, and verification requirements. Help ensure that Apple’s environmental claims are in compliance with the highest reporting standards. Drive policy evolution toward practical, deep decarbonization, while enhancing Apple’s impact and leadership role. Contribute substantially to Apple’s annual environmental report. Initiate new projects and rigorously analyze cost-effectiveness, impact, and risk. Manage projects through contract execution. Liaise with project developers and consultants; develop effective partnerships. Develop innovative solutions to address Apple’s total corporate carbon footprint and provide value-added environmental solutions to our internal and external customers. Collaborate closely with colleagues on the Global Energy & Sustainability Team to drive forward Apple’s vision for universal clean and affordable energy.
Education & Experience
BA/BS degree in engineering, economics, public policy, or other relevant field with 10+ years of professional experience focused on renewable energy strategy, procurement, development, and climate policy. Advanced degree preferred.