Battery Electrochemical Modeler Internship
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, driven people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our multifaceted group, you will have the outstanding and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and encourage millions of Apple’s customers every single day.
- - Two years or more of experience of multi-physics, multi-dimensional electrochemical modeling for lithium ion batteries using established platforms such as COMSOL Multiphysics
- - Working experience of John Newman’s Dualfoil model is preferred
- - Experience of 3D finite element battery simulation is desired
- - Hand-on experience of testing to measure electrochemical properties as needed in model development
- - Knowledge of applicable test equipment, test procedures, international standards and certified agency requirements applicable to rechargeable lithium battery products
- - Ability to motivate and work independently with minimal oversight required
- - Ability to interact optimally with other engineers and teams
- - Ability to clearly justify technical decisions based on data and results
- - Self-starter with excellent time management
This intern position contributes to the development and qualification of advanced lithium ion battery technology for portable power consumer applications. You will develop the multi-physics, multi-dimensional models to simulate electrochemical and thermal performances of lithium ion batteries. You will work with internal and external resources to calibrate and validate the models to high levels of confidence. - Mathematical modeling lithium ion batteries using established platforms such as COMSOL Multiphysics - Develop and calibrate multi-physics, multi-dimensional electrochemical and thermal coupled lithium ion battery models for normal and abuse use conditions - Design and conduct tests to calibrate models - Work with cell and battery engineering groups to verify accuracy of mathematical models and performance simulation
Education & Experience
PhD or PhD candidate in Material Science, Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.