Touch ASIC Digital Architect (EE)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Design, develop, and launch next-generation Touch Technologies in Apple products. The Touch Technology team develops cutting-edge Touch solutions and technologies that are central to Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, and more. The key goal of the Touch Technology team is to enable the world’s best multi-touch user-experience. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. The ASIC Digital architect is a key architect responsible for analyzing the application and coming up with cost and power optimized digital for the touch and other sensing ASICs. These designs may include one or multiple processor and/or DSP cores and microarchitecture of custom control engines.
- - Experience leading chip architecture and/or digital design is desirable, preferably in touch or communications.
- - Hands-on experience in design, development and launch of high volume IC designs in consumer products; direct experience with touch technology and/or flat panel display technology is beneficial.
- - Strong electrical engineering background embedded system design including ASIC microarchitecture, computer architecture, SoC architecture, and custom or standard DSP or hardware accelerator microarchitecture
- - Experience in FPGA emulation system design preferred, including leading pre-silicon system validation, prototype bring-up, debug, validation, characterization, and module integration support
- - Excellent written and verbal communication skills and solid teamwork and leadership skills.
- - Proficiency in MATLAB, Verilog, or similar simulation, design and modeling tools.
- - Experience with DSP, estimation algorithms, and/or machine learning HW is a plus.
- Touch sensor digital system architecture. - Develop high performance, low power signal processing architectures and sensing algorithms to achieve the best touch solutions. - System-level design and IC micro-architecture definition of complex digital and mixed-signal ASICs including requirements for: - ARM processing, memory, bus, and DSP sub-systems - Power Management, clocking, I/O interfaces, and peripherals - Define common Digital platform architecture framework including design methodology and best practices to be used as a reference for Architecture team - Cross disciplinary design optimization, hardware/software design partitioning, trade-off assessments and design checking. - Author detailed specifications, analyses, and characterization plans for touch system ASIC’s - Defect root cause analysis and resolution, including diligent bug database tracking. - Minimal business travel as needed to support product development. CROSS-FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: - Manage cross-function technical development of Touch solutions. - Engage and collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Mechanical Engineering, Firmware Engineering, Algorithms Engineering and Process Engineering, to deliver state-of-the-art Touch solutions. - Author presentations that communicate program status, technical issues, risks, and mitigations plans, clearly and concisely. - Contribute technical assessments to strategic decision-making relating to technology and investments.
Education & Experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or industry experience equivalent, with 5+ years of digital design and architecture experience.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.