Maps Big Data/Analytics Platform Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Apple Maps Eval and Analytics team is in need of great engineers. Our team builds big data and computing platforms, as well as core services, to empower engineers, statisticians and scientists to develop and experiment with algorithms, to measure and improve the accuracy and quality of Apple Maps global dataset. We deal with huge amounts of data at a massive scale, so we are looking for engineers who love solving challenging problems through conducting independent research and collaborating with teams across Apple to help improve the overall mapping experience. We're looking for big data platform engineers who have previously worked on delivering scalable backend distributed systems, big data platforms, and data pipeline and streaming systems. You'll be working on unique and challenging big data ecosystem with focuses on storage efficiency, data security and privacy, scalable and performant queries, expandability and flexibility, etc, and with the goal to help better measure the quality of map data.
- 5+ years experience working in big data platform and/or highly scalable distributed computing
- Experience building large-scale distributed systems with high availability
- Exposure to large scale data piple and processing systems
- Advocate of software development best practices such as Test Drive Development(TDD), Continuous Deployment, etc
- Familiar with the Agile development process
- Experience working on the cutting edge big data storage systems and technologies like Hadoop, AWS S3, Apache Spark, Storm/Heron, Cassandra, Apache Kafka, etc.
- Solid in at least one JVM-based or functional programming language and capable of learning new languages quickly
- Understand asynchronous I/O, concurrency; experience in developing on the JVM and knowledge in the Java memory model will be a plus
- Strong investigative and problem solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across regions and timezones
- Good time management skills and can incrementally deliver to tight schedules
You will work with engineers to build a big data platform that processes and manages Exabytes of data and enables efficient access to those data. By embracing various technologies around data file formats, codec, compression algorithms, catalog and indexes, query optimization, and caching, we target to build the data platform to empower data driven analysis and decision making at Apple Maps and to improve the core product that touches millions of users worldwide each day. You will be responsible for the full software development lifecycle to deliver reliable systems that service a number of internal customers. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated and proactive individual with good width and depth of related technical knowledge. You will face a lot of challenges and are expected to be goal oriented and driven to deliver quality solutions in a demanding environment. You are expected to work with other senior engineers and to collaborate with them professionally. You should be able to express your opinion as well as listen to others. You should be able to deal with ambiguity and drive conversations toward clarity of scopes.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or related degree.
- - Experience with Service Oriented Architecture and micro-services.
- - Experience with Database storage and the query engines