Cloud DevOps Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in App Store. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy.
- Experience delivering large scale applications and infrastructure using configuration management technologies (Ansible/Chef/Puppet/proprietary systems)
- Experience building and managing applications in Public Cloud (AWS highest priority, but other leading platforms are also a plus)
- Experience delivering (from a leadership position) Cloud infrastructure capabilities for a large engineering organization – balancing developer productivity with ensuring best practices around availability and best practices
- Experience managing systems that improve developer productivity - build/release (CI/CD) pipelines, pre-production environments, deployment platforms and related technologies.
- Experience improving build/release systems to “shift left” capabilities to ensure production deployments meet security, resilience and performance requirements.
- 5+ years experience with people management in leading larger teams (7+), and in delivering against a significant product and project roadmap
- Experience leading teams responsible for production quality of service in a mission critical, SLA driven high performance environment
- Experience with different hosting technologies – bare metal, virtualization, containerization systems, and managing underlying infrastructure
- Experience working with the Hashicorp stack (terraform, nomad, consul, etc) desired
- Knowledge and strong experience with key Unix, infrastructure and networking technologies – Unix fundamentals, Load Balancing, storage systems
- Proficient in one or more: Python, Go, Ruby for solving systems related issues, with experience in object-oriented programming
- Exposure to Ad Tech and the advertising businesses is a plus
- Extraordinary experience with being successful in a collaborative environment with multiple stakeholders, initiatives and milestones.
- Real passion for leading, mentoring and developing junior team members
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL: - Manage an extraordinary team of Cloud Infrastructure / DevOps engineers and lead the site-up architecture - Define the organization strategy and team structure for this function within the overall Operations org. Develop the business case for additional capabilities that are needed and make case to senior leadership. Grow the team capabilities by hiring additional engineers and leaders for different capabilities within the team. - Lead Ad Platforms through platform evolution – lead and drive hosting platform strategy decisions, in collaboration with Ad Platform engineering leaders. Support our hosting technologies throughout this process, ensuring they deliver resilient, secure services for our products to build upon. - Deliver additional technologies needed for success in hosting and running services in production – monitoring, autohealing, and other services that may be needed. - Build out and lead platform engineering teams that will develop AWS platform automation, while developing an open contribution strategy to enable broader contribution. Drive AWS usage best practices, and lead engagement to learn from production issues with public cloud infrastructure. - Lead the Developer Productivity platforms - Setting direction and strategy in collaboration with engineering leaders from across the organization. Determine and deliver against key metrics that track improvement on the organizations ability to deliver value more frequently while maintaining quality, security, resiliency and performance. - Take ownership of additional platform technologies as needed within the organization. Drive platform strategy for those technologies, develop and deliver objectives against our SLOs, ensuring deep expertise in these technologies. - Drive the evaluation and implementation of new versions, fixes, and capabilities of tools and technologies and facilitate their adoption in Products - Participate in rotational on-call (during PST hours) - Actively drive technology/framework related projects, new product evaluations, POCs
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent is required. Master's degree preferred.