Construction Auditor, Corporate Real Estate & Development
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Do you love thinking analytically? Are you passionate about using your real estate knowledge to navigate complex challenges? Join us, and you’ll have a significant role in continuing Apple’s legacy of efficiency and success. The Construction Auditor will lead the financial audit activities of all significant corporate, research & development, and data center construction projects for Apple globally, including both ground up construction projects, as well as tenant improvement/fit-out projects. The role will report to the Director of Global Real Estate, and will work closely with internal project managers, the Apple Finance and Legal departments, as well as consultants and suppliers, resulting in strategic supplier relationships that achieve cost-effective and financially well-managed construction projects.
- 7+ years experience in a similar role
- Excellent technical, organizational and communication skills, and documented experience in auditing mid-to large-scale construction projects, with a demonstrated ability to lead all aspects of construction audits.
- Well developed technical and commercial knowledge of General Construction methodology as well as detailed knowledge of General Contractor, Electrical Contractor, and Mechanical Contractor markets and drivers. Keen understanding of inner workings of sub-contracted work, building requirements, construction delivery methods, and best practices.
- Ability to implement proactive financial management philosophies, strategies, policies, procedures, and systems in order to properly track and audit construction spend and reduce costs.
- Exceptional negotiation experience, knowledge of contracts, diplomacy, and strong ability to lead cross-functional project teams.
- Knowledge of advanced accounting and fiscal auditing principles/standards and experience with applying such guidelines.
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze large sets of data and transform into actionable insights.
- Ability to self-manage and maintain integrity, objectivity and responsibility.
- Ability to maintain perspective and confidence in face of difficult negotiations, very tight deadlines and high expectations.
- Ability to produce deliverables which consistently aid in:
- Increased supplier accountability
- Understanding of marketplace
- Effective decision-making
- Enhanced communications
- Strong working knowledge of complex construction projects and international construction practices, working knowledge of architectural documentation, including construction and shop drawings, construction scheduling and the construction process are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Construction Auditor will manage construction project life-cycle from design through closeout, and will involve activities such as procurement, contracting, safety, administration, compliance, contractor management andcost/billings. The successful candidate will conduct reviews of control effectiveness over physical construction, including, but not limited to: Develop audit objectives and conduct / oversee substantive tests in support. Front-end construction bid package, proposal and contract reviews; In-process and closeout transactional cost and billings reviews; Plan, perform and lead audits to confirm internal compliance with approved policies and procedures including testing financial controls and underlying transactions. Evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls. Liaise with the contractor’s project controls and project managers in reviewing, challenging and negotiating supporting cost validation documentation. Provide change order and claims review, including review and recommendation of entitlements in accordance with the contractual terms and conditions Identify actual and potential overpayments, overcharges, failures to recoup reimbursable expenses. Identify cost recoveries, cost saving opportunities and process improvement. Review all change orders and contract modifications to ensure that no unauthorized, redundant, overpriced or contingency budgets exist. Provide objective and timely analysis, recommendations and information to management concerning activities reviewed. Train / provide guidance to project managers on industry standard processes and procedures to minimize audit risk. Stay informed of professional standards and guidance. Cross-functional Support: Be highly effective at initiating and leading/facilitating cross-functional teams, building cross-functional relationships, and developing cross-functional understanding in a high paced, rapidly changing environment. Includes the ability to rapidly synthesize and communicate findings to senior leaders and to actively identify potential issues that can affect construction strategy. Define standards for quality and support and actively evaluate work-product against those standards. Develop tools, processes, and services against these standards and ensures team goals and objective are linked to Real Estate & Development, business, and stakeholder plans. Implement those standards to measure success and ongoing efficiency. Work effectively under pressure and coordinate multiple projects in a dynamic environment with constantly shifting priorities
Education & Experience
BA/BS degree. MA/MS/MBA preferred. Certified Public Accountant license and/or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) license a plus. We are looking for a highly motivated and proactive thinker who can think strategically and stay connected to our customers. The ideal candidate will possess a high level of integrity, creativity, initiative, accountability, communication and interpersonal skills, with a commitment to teamwork and excellence.