Embedded 5G/4G Cellular RF Firmware Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of a world class modem team, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge embedded firmware that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Do you want to have an impact on every single Apple product? As a Wireless Embedded RF Firmware Engineer on this team, you will be at the center of the embedded 5G/4G/multimode cellular firmware effort within a silicon design group responsible for designing and productizing state-of-the-art cellular RF SoCs. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of embedded software development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- - Experience with hardware control of RF transceiver and RF front end components for 4G/5G data path processing.
- - Understanding of 5G and 4G 3GPP protocols pertaining to RF control.
- - Understanding of RF related impairments
- -Understanding of one or more of the following RF topics : RXAGC, TXAGC, envelope tracking, DPD, RF devices, MIPI, Analog/Digital conversion, filters, and multi-frequency tuning.
- -Understanding of RF calibrations for gain error and techniques for compensating RF impairments.
- -Strong understanding of design principles to meet tight real time deadlines.
- -Deep understanding of software engineering principles, and core computer science fundamentals.
- -Fundamental facility with C and C++, compilers, build and source code control tools.
- -Significant experience with memory constrained Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) and concurrent programming.
- -Working knowledge of computer architecture with particular emphasis on the HW/SW interfaces of high speed communication subsystems.
- -Experience with silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms.
- -Experience using RF test equipment for RF validation and debugging.
- -Proficiency debugging embedded software systems. Familiarity with UARTs,JTAG, and oscilloscopes.
- -Some Python or Perl scripting experience.
- Specify, design, and implement the RF firmware architecture of a state-of-the-art mobile wireless communications system. - Implement RF device drivers and RF control code for RF transceivers and RF front end components with precise timing requirements. - Work with RF silicon designers to define RF transceiver architecture and supportive digital compute requirements. - Implementation of RF calibration algorithms - Assist in the development of pre-silicon emulation systems/virtual platforms and use them for pre-silicon FW design and HW verification. - Assist in the development of pre-silicon emulation systems/virtual platforms and use them for pre-silicon RF FW design and HW verification. - Evaluate and implement leading edge tools for build, formal verification and test. - Define methodologies and best practices.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or computer science is required.