Hardware Systems Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We’re a diverse collection of thinkers and doers, continually reimagining what’s possible to help us all do what we love in new ways. The people who work here have pushed forward entire industries through the Mac, iPhone, iPad, AirPort, HomePod, and Apple TV, and do so by collaborating deeply with service partners, including iTunes, the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, and Apple Pay. Join us in developing solutions the world doesn’t know of yet. You will be a part of a hands-on development team at Apple’s headquarters that has a significant role in the development of new Apple products. This candidate is someone with significant electrical, silicon and system design and product experience. You will engage in a collaborative, rapidly changing environment to integrate new technologies into our designs; Foster engineering excellence, creativity and innovation; Deeply collaborate with and drive cross-functional teams; Understand hardware, software and product feature trade-offs; Support product execution including international travel for manufacturing support.
- Ability to drive key systems engineering architectural and implementation trade-offs on high performance, low-power, and high quality products
- Solid understanding of the development process including schematics (any package), board development, and system bring up
- Experience designing high volume consumer electronics products from beginning to end
- Experience creating and influencing system specification documents
- Experience with HW video encoders/decoders, video/display/sensor data pipelines, multi-image blending strategies, CPU, GPU, audio DSP, and neural network acceleration
- Understanding of silicon architectures and ability to translate software and technology needs into silicon requirements
- Experience with leading architecture, electrical design, and characterization of the following areas: DisplayPort, Embedded DisplayPort (eDP), HDMI1.4b and HDMI2.0b, HDMI 2.1, S/PDIF, USB-C, I2S, DDR3/4, LPDDR3/4/4x, PCIe gen1/2/3, USB2/3, parallel-NAND, eMMC, I2C/SPI/UART buses, and power
- Knowledge of current and emerging DisplayPort and HDMI standards, and their supporting specifications (such as: CTA-861, VESA E-EDID, E-DDC, DisplayID, CVT, HDCP, etc.)
- Familiarity with video processing techniques and standards including HDR10, Dolby Vision, color space conversation, scaling, blending, frame rate conversation etc.
- Proficiency in use of oscilloscopes, logic and protocol analyzers
Apple is seeking a highly motivated, ambitious System Hardware Architect to lead and drive system technical designs and roadmaps. You will oversee and analyze key system architectural and implementation trade-offs such as: - Power and performance in a thermally constrained system - Analyzing silicon, PCB, and interconnect floor plans while taking SI, EMC and RF into consideration - System power states and power budget analysis - Strategically identify custom silicon needs and define their architecture and requirements within the broader needs of the system. - Evaluate solution and technology spaces, including system constraint discovery, to determine creative architectural implementations and approaches. Once you join our team you will collaborate with virtually every team involved in the design and development process at Apple, including: - Product Design / Mechanical Engineering - Software / Firmware - Industrial Design - Wireless Design - Reliability - Operations You will author and deliver regular technical communications for executive leadership.
Education & Experience
Bachelors, Masters, PhD in EE or CS degree or equivalent experience