Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) Intern
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they craft the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. As a SME Intern, you will develop and implement coatings that achieve challenging cosmetic & functional requirements in our highly visible enclosure designs.
- Experience in hands-on development of PVD and CVD coatings in R&D and/or production environment
- Working knowledge of material properties to design requirements, process drivers, and test methodologies
- Ability to lead a development program to a schedule from research phase into manufacturing execution in a matrixed organization
- Experience using advanced analytical techniques (such as XRF, SEM, EDS, FTIR, TEM, & XPS) to characterize film quality or solve failure modes
- Experience establishing and validating coating processes for mass production
- Excellent analytical skills with an emphasis toward implementing solutions
- Ambitious, with a dedication to delivering high quality results in a dynamic environment
- Work with Apple’s Industrial Design and Product Design teams to build working specifications related to coating processes - Collaborate with premier equipment and process manufacturing partners to create next-generation processes and test limits of process capabilities - Determine feasibility to achieve aggressive goals evaluating manufacturing processes at early stages of product development - Plan and execute studies to confirm process capability to achieve technical goals for high volume programs - Present analysis to key decision makers that will be used to make commercial and design commitments - Work directly with overseas manufacturers implementing solutions meeting high-volume commercial goals
Education & Experience
Pursuing degree in Materials Science, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent; MS/PhD preferred Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you’re applying for a position in San Francisco, review the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance guidelines applicable in your area. Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace. Reasonable Accommodation and Drug Free Workplace policy.