Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Display Software & Technologies in the Interactive Media Group (IMG) is looking for an experienced software engineering manager to lead display software components. Dynamic, inspiring people and innovative, industry-defining technologies are the norm at Apple. The people who work here have invented and defined how 5k Thunderbolt multi-stream displays work, engineered software infrastructure from graphics EFI & OS kernel drivers to user mode display policy managers that configure display links and support a broad partner ecosystem from external GPUs to displays, DisplayPort over USB-C and Thunderbolt protocol adapters. Our teams feature a collaborative environment with creative, smart people and groundbreaking technologies working closely with Apple’s CoreOS team. Engineering excellence is expected and encouraged. Come, join us in crafting solutions the world doesn’t know of yet. This position requires a SW engineering manager with strong technical and cross-functional skills across hardware and software.
- This position requires a SW engineering manager with strong technical and cross-functional skills across hardware and software
- 5 or more years of Software Engineering experience
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience leading a software team of highly skilled engineers close to firmware
- Domain expertise close to hardware, could be GPUs, video codecs, displays, networking or wireless sub-systems
- You care deeply about product excellence and software quality
- Coding experience in C, C++ and Objective-C
- You excel at troubleshooting and debugging difficult problems
- You are someone who thrives working in a fast-paced environment and learning new technologies
- Finally, we expect you to have deep understanding of object oriented design, memory management, power and performance optimization
As a team, Display Software & Technologies is responsible for bringing up the Mac display pipeline on new products, including the development and integration of systems software for macOS, interfaces with internal display timing controllers, GPU display pipes, backlight controls, internal and external display link configuration and management. We also develop and maintain parts of the display abstraction for macOS including display configuration, preferences and manage the adaption for display of rendered content to the user's perception. We create products that just work and look great in the diverse environments where customers use our products. As an engineering manager on the Display Software & Technologies team, you will be responsible for driving new features, functional specs and schedules. You’ll work on a wide range of components from DisplayPort link management, Apple’s graphics control policy managers for displays to discrete GPU mux switching, HDCP and downlink security, and kernel and user driver software that interacts with other system-level drivers from audio to power management. You’ll work on improving quality and performance, resource planning, and developing and mentoring your team. The ideal candidate will be technically hands-on and will be expected to quickly become proficient with the code to set technical direction on multiple projects. Strong project management skills will be critical in this role as you will work with other software engineering teams, partner closely with QA, and engineering project management.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's or Masters degree in computer science or related field