Content Development Editor, Apple Books
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple Books is at the forefront of content and technology, giving millions of users access to books and audiobooks from authors and creators across the globe. We work with the world's biggest publishers and most talented authors to deliver an extraordinary experience to our users. Apple Books highlights the best and most engaging content on our platform for a global audience. Apple Books is part of the Internet Software & Services (IS&S) team at Apple which provides global customers access to an incredible collection of amazing content and features across books, music, movies, apps, news, and much more. Apple Books is seeking a content development editor with a passion for books who understands the global publishing business and will focus on expanding the Apple Books catalog in a variety of formats including ebooks, audiobooks, children’s books, comics and manga.You will need editorial acumen to identify compelling content, judgement to discern if the content needs further development and experience partnering with authors and publishers on content enhancement. You will be the editorial lead and project manager for content development working with both outside contractors and internal stakeholders. You will project manage onboarding with the ops team and provide initial content briefings to the editorial team.
- You have the editorial insight to quickly identify and develop compelling book, audiobook, and graphic content across genres that will benefit Apple Books.
- You have experience working with authors/publishers and third parties in content development including editing, book cover and book trailer creation, product copy and audiobook production.
- You have experience in project management and working with operations and engineering teams to bring content onboard digital platforms optimized for customer satisfaction and sales success.
- You have experience negotiating contracts with authors, publishers and third party vendors.
- You have experience working with authors and publishers in both content development and account management roles, having demonstrated effective business communication and relationship management skills.
- You have experience working with high profile individuals and their teams, crafting presentations and coordinating with marketing and PR on campaigns.
- You have experience navigating relationships on complicated projects that involve multiple stakeholders.
- You are fluent with data and analytics and are willing to evolve your editorial strategy as numbers reveal user behavior.
- You have excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate with a wide range of external partners, internal team members, and job functions – all the way up to executives.
- You will be a strategic thinker and self-starter with a proactive approach to meeting objectives and accomplishing goals.
- You are a phenomenal teammate willing to persevere on challenging long-term projects as well as jump in when needed to tackle an immediate need.
- Seek out, acquire and develop compelling book, audiobook, and graphic content across genres and languages. - Work closely with global business, editorial and operations teams to assess global and regional market trends, content development possibilities, plans and timelines. - Identify content which needs enhancement or auxiliary assets and project manage authors/publishers and third parties in content development including but not limited to editing, book cover and book trailer creation, product copy , marketing assets and audiobook production. - Negotiate contracts with authors, publishers and content suppliers as well as third party vendors. - Project manage operations and engineering teams to bring content onboard digital platforms optimized for customer satisfaction and sales success. - Craft presentations for internal and external stakeholders and coordinate with merchandising, marketing and PR on assets and campaigns. - Serve as account manager for authors and publishers in content development and on-boarding and brief editorial teams for smooth transition. - Lead and track progress on Apple Books projects with high profile individuals and their teams to ensure Apple goals are met. - Understand the critical metrics for your projects and work towards them strategically. - Play an active role in communicating and explaining your work to an internal audience.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience