Research and Development Engineer - Health Technologies
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Health Technologies Team conceives and proves out innovative technology for Apple’s future products and features in health. We are seeking a highly motivated research-oriented electrical engineer to join a cross-functional and multi-disciplinary team to help develop and assess industry-defining health, wellness, and fitness sensors, systems, and applications. Join our team to create extraordinary features that represent the cutting edge of innovation in the emerging and dynamic consumer health field.
- Ability to work with biomedical sensors and systems to collect and analyze physiological data for health, wellness, and fitness applications
- Ability to develop and apply signal processing techniques and machine learning algorithms to extract features and build models from physiological signals
- Experience with signal processing, data analysis, and data visualization using one or more programming languages, such as MATLAB, Python, or R
- Experience with hardware development involving lab instrumentation and prototype bringup for data collection
- A demonstrable understanding of human physiology and prior research experience in the field of health is highly desired
Are you comfortable digging deep into the numbers to prove your work? You will help design and execute small-scale pilot studies and larger-scale studies to demonstrate the efficacy of our technologies. This will involve assembling test hardware from commercially available devices and helping to build new custom hardware. You will develop signal processing algorithms and train machine learning models that operate on collected physiological data. You will then distill and interpret findings from those studies to inform sensor and algorithm specifications, to prove (or disprove!) different feature or product concepts, and to identify product opportunities that will make meaningful impact on Apple customers. Data must be presented so that results are clear and unbiased. Familiarity with data visualization tools and basic statistics is essential. Can you partner closely with others and work flexibly to accomplish your goals? You will solicit and incorporate guidance from a variety of teams at Apple for setting sensor specifications, design and development goals, algorithms, and data visualizations. You will need to consult literature, absorb new information, and learn new tools quickly as tasks and projects require. Your intuition and adept interpersonal skills will shine as you effectively communicate results of feasibility assessments and the physiological relevance of measurement approaches to partner teams and Apple executives.
Education & Experience
A Master’s or Ph.D. in electrical engineering with relevant coursework and experience in signal processing, sensor development, and experimentation is required. Specific experience with medical, physiological, health, wellness, and fitness applications is highly desired.
- You will thrive in our fast-paced environment if you are highly organized and able to multitask.
- Flexible thinking, adaptability to change and comfort with ambiguity are hallmarks of successful people on our team.
- We look forward to witnessing your excellent communication and interpersonal skills during the interview process.
- Apple is known for heterogeneous and cohesive teams. A proven ability to work seamlessly with others is required to acclimate quickly to our culture.
- We highly value your analytical mind and problem-solving skills, and expect a stellar attention to detail.
- You will let the customer experience guide your decision making. You will design with Apple’s culture and values, inclusion for all and privacy, as fundamental requirements.