Product Safety Engineering Intern
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. This internship is offered in our Apple's Product Safety Engineering department within the Product Integrity organization. Our mission is to ensure the products we make are safe for our customers to use throughout the world and also align with worldwide safety requirements. The Product Safety Group seeks an energetic, poised, data driven and detail- oriented engineer with a background in optics and electro-optics to support safety engineering design and testing of innovative consumer products. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. Will you join us in helping craft solutions that do not yet exist?
- - Experience in product engineering for consumer, medical, military, space, etc.
- - Reliability engineering experience with a deep knowledge of optics and electro-optics including driving product design for safety and compliance to IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950,62368, 60825, and 62471.
- - Understanding applicable test equipment, test procedures, and agency requirements from above Safety Standards.
- - Data analysis, modeling, and automation software such as Matlab, Comsol, Zemax, LabVIEW, Python.
- - You will have extensive lab and engineering experience.
- - Knowing how to build, debug, and analyze systems as well as design experience of optical system and electrical systems (desirable).
- - Experience conducting FMEA and Fault Tree Analysis (desirable) as well as detailed failure analysis and developing lessons learned.
- - Handling relationships with vendors and contractors to develop and qualify product designs.
- - Conducting component level safety analysis of optical and electrical modules.
- - Technical writing and data analytics.
- - Someone who will be both confident to work independently and be a good team member.
The Product Safety Group seeks a qualified engineer who will develop a deep understanding of Apple products and work with multi-functional teams to identify and address safety requirements and resolve design challenges of new technologies. You will also: - Own and drive the safety aspects of Apple products. - Conduct safety compliance testing, report writing, and obtain certifications. - Use scientific methods and conduct design of experiments and failure analysis. - Develop an understanding of manufacturing processes to identify and address potential manufacturing defects that can lead to safety issues. - Work with suppliers to ensure that product safety is addressed and maintained during production.
Education & Experience
- Currently pursuing a MS or PhD in Physics, Optical Physics, Electro-optics, or related field.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.