Senior Open Source Counsel
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Do you love taking on big challenges without precedent? Do you possess a deep knowledge of the legal field and a passion for innovation? As a part of our Legal group, you’ll help uphold Apple’s high ethical and corporate standards, as well as defend our intellectual property. You will help provide legal support for all our products and businesses across the globe. Working for a company that invents entire categories and industries means you’ll be able to creatively apply your deep legal expertise to rare and often unexplored aspects of the law. We are seeking a Senior Open Source Legal Counsel. In this role, you will lead a variety of legal matters pertaining to participation in open source activities, contributing to open source projects, releasing software under open source licenses and starting open source projects. You will partner with the business to achieve objectives and work closely with internal partners to develop and implement open source strategies, as well as potentially engaging externally on open source related committees.
- 7+ years experience (either at a major law firm and/or in-house) providing general legal advice and legal advice related to open source.
- Corporate in-house legal experience counseling on patent and other intellectual property issues related to open source
- Strong insight and deep knowledge about open source licenses and analyzing open source licensing issues, coupled with an expertise in intellectual property and contracts law.
- Experience drafting agreements or policies for open source
- Ability to advise all types and levels of business, legal and engineering clients effectively. A proven ability to handle a high level of client interaction including managing expectations and keeping clients informed on status is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, advocacy and negotiation skills.
- Highly motivated and independent self-starter; comfortable learning new legal areas and skills
- Excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent work ethic and collaborative skills
- Sound judgment, strong interpersonal & organizational skills, and the ability to handle multiple projects at a time are required. An ability to manage projects with deadlines that are dependent on lateral influence is essential. Demonstrated project management skills are desirable.
- Computer Science, Engineering or other technical degree a plus.
- USPTO registration and experience analyzing patents is a plus.
As a member of Apple's in-house legal team, your role as an open source attorney will be managing legal policy, processes and matters related to open source contribution, open source licensing, participation in open source projects, releasing code under an open source license and starting new open source projects. You will work internally with others in Legal and business organizations to implement policy and processes related to contribution to and participation in open source projects; educate business organizations on open source legal issues; draft agreements and policies; track patent portfolio impact; and manage compliance with legal obligations arising from or otherwise associated with contributions to and participation in open source.
Education & Experience
Registered patent attorney or other equivalent experience in handling patent and legal issues related to open source and participation in open source projects. Computer Science, Engineering or other technical degree is a plus.