Phy Layer Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Join our Wireless team and drive innovation that matters! We’re looking for engineers with Signal Processing background to join the growing Instrument Engineering team at Apple. This small team of world-class engineers designs and produces precision RF and Analog Test Equipment for use in calibrating and testing the Cellular. WiFi, BT, mmWave etc. radios in millions of iPhones, iPads, Macs and Watches. All members of the team bring their own unique expertise to collectively take internal Apple products from concept to mass production. Each internal product is designed to Apple's exacting standards resulting in beautiful test equipment that maintains the quality, accuracy and function of commercially available offerings. You will already have an impressive track record of success and innovation in at least one of the following disciplines: Signal processing; Algorithms design for communication systems; Software development; and System Architecture. By joining Apple’s Instrument Engineering team you will embark upon the best work of your career. Besides excelling in your field, the ability to interact with other groups within Apple, including Physical Design, Thermal, Reliability and Operations, to make a product worthy of the Apple brand is essential. If you're passionate about building technology that will make a difference, we may have the job for you. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on accuracy, understandability and performance of the product? You will become part of a hands-on development team that furthers engineering perfection, creativity and innovation. Dynamic, inspiring people and innovative technologies are the norm here. We want you to join our team if you are a resourceful engineer with the desire to research and develop solutions that do not yet exist. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- You are well versed with signal processing techniques used in PHY layers for: WIFI, BT, LTE, mmWave
- You should be capable of top level system design for hardware used to generate and analyze RF signals;
- You have knowledge of digital frequency and timing recovery, channel estimation and compensation, phase tracking, MIMO processing, beam forming, detection and demodulation algorithms.
- We're looking for knowledge of techniques used to ensure signal quality of single-carrier and multi-carrier signals;
- Knowledge of design using RF and Analog discrete components;
- Knowledge of RF lab equipment including: power sensors, spectrum analyzers, vector signal generators, wide-band radio communication testers;
- Knowledge of basic lab equipment including: oscilloscopes, VNA, signal generators;
- Excellent fundamentals and work experience programming in one or more of Python, C/C++, C#, Objective-C
- Knowledge of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) concepts & scalable software design;
- Energy and drive to thrive in a start-up like environment;
- Technical Leadership experience is helpful.
You will develop and optimize precision test equipment used by RF automation systems to test Apple’s newest products including iPhone, iPad, Mac and others for different wireless technologies. You will develop and implement signal processing algorithms to compensate RF impairments and produce optimal results. You will interpret wireless standards and implement modulators and demodulators accordingly. You will debug complex systems composed of RF frontends, digital baseband and FW and SW stacks. You will work with other teams in Apple to analyze results and root cause problems. Position will require some international travel.
Education & Experience
MSEE or equivalent is required