Hardware Associate Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on product reliability? You will become part of a hands-on development team that fosters engineering perfection, creativity and innovation. Dynamic, inspiring people and innovative technologies are the norm here. Come join the team responsible for developing the tests used to uphold the legendary reliability associated with the Apple brand. The Reliability Test Development team works collaboratively with brilliant engineers and technicians to solve complex reliability testing challenges identified through FMEA, competitor testing and field captures. We act as the lynchpin throughout the development process, connecting talented teams and individuals with specific expertise crucial to the success of the development process. We want you to join our team if you are an inventive person with the desire to research and develop solutions that do not yet exist.
- Proven ability to develop reliability tests is highly preferred
- Solid understanding of one or more core concepts such as mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, etc.
- Experience with data acquisition tools and commonly used sensors
- Familiar with the fundamental principles and operation of mechanical testers, drop towers, environmental chambers and other common reliability lab equipment
- Ability to communicate technical knowledge in a clear and effective way, both orally and written
- Committed to thorough and effective documentation
- Passion to provide accurate data analysis and reporting with a strong attention to detail
- Adept at using creative and innovative thinking to solve problems
- Able to effectively collaborate with in a team and work independently
- Self starter, able to learn where to find information and resources
- Comfortable programming and operating Instron or similar sample characterization equipment is preferred
- Experience with photography and high-speed video equipment is a plus
- Experience using macOS and iOS is a plus
The Test Development team works collaboratively to develop, validate and document test methods used to determine the reliability of all Apple products. You will juggle many simultaneous projects as priorities shift and to move work forward efficiently. There is a need to demonstrate a strong sense of ownership as you manage your projects, priorities and deadlines. While much of our development is done early in the product lifecycle, you will work throughout all stages of product development with varying degrees of urgency. Your ability to stay calm under pressure, organized and multitask seamlessly will suit you well in this role. On occasion you will meet cross-functionally with groups outside of reliability to discuss new test development needs, share updates and present finalized testing procedures.
Education & Experience
Bachelors in Electronics, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering or equivalent work experience preferred