Backend Engineer Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s Interactive Media Group (IMG) provides the media and graphics software foundation for iOS and macOS based products, from iPhone, iPad, and Watch, to Apple TV, and all Mac products. Combining cutting-edge software techniques with next-generation hardware, IMG takes the media experience to the next level. As a part of IMG, the GPU Software team is responsible for developing the graphics foundation for all iOS and macOS based products. Responsibilities span from low-level GPU driver and compiler development to implementing APIs such as Metal, OpenGL and OpenCL. Our technology provides the GPU acceleration that drives Apple's unique UI and high-quality video and camera features. It enables the advanced graphics seen in today's top games and other apps running on iPhone, iPad and the Mac.
- 5 to 7+ years of experience managing software engineering teams.
- Experience migrating systems to a cloud-based setup such as AWS.
- Proven experience, designing, scoping, sandboxing, developing, debugging and deploying complex automation and build systems to a production environment.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with multiple internal and multi-functional teams to determine their needs, document the expectations and goals, measure and report progress towards said goals to an executive audience.
- Deep knowledge of automated testing pipelines driven by a Continuous Integration framework.
- Experience with embedded operating systems.
- Successful at instituting organizational processes that aid teams in accomplishing their goals.
- Demonstrated intestinal fortitude to take on multiple simultaneous technical, personnel and communication challenges in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent knowledge of software development lifecycle, test methodologies and tools, and passion for quality processes.
- Ability to deliver high-quality design, code, and tests, on tight schedules. Results-oriented and fast-paced.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, with multi-functional teams.
TAs a software development manager for the Automation/Build/Dev Ops team, you will be responsible for leading the development of the automation tools, build systems, and dev ops for Apple’s GPU Software team. You will be setting the standard methodologies, and developing the strategy for moving from a milestone-based deployment to Continuous Integration And Deployment solutions, and then see that plan through execution, enabling the entire organization to move faster. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE - Lead a team of engineers responsible for the development of GPU Software’s build systems and associated automation technologies. - Develop project plans and commitments for your team then deliver consistently against those commitments. - Hire world-class dev ops, build system, and automation engineers, and retain them. - Coach your team members and grow their capabilities over time. - Participate in the architecture and technology choices that enable a world-class user experience. - Be a champion for the user: Insist on the highest standards, and build functional and engaging features that delight customers.
Education & Experience
BS/MS degree in computer science or related field, equivalent experience