Product Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Mac... iPod... iPhone... iPad... WATCH... what’s next? We are a team of passionate engineers who are designing, prototyping, analyzing, and eventually launching that next new product category at Apple. As a Product Designer on this team, you will be given ownership over the mechanical design of specific parts or modules within the product and will be responsible for the analysis, assembly, and reliability of these parts. Our goal is to ensure the highest quality product for our customers. In this role you will engage in frequent multi-disciplinary collaboration with teams like Industrial Design, Project Management, Materials, Manufacturing, EE, Display, Camera, Antenna, Battery, and more. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to craft future products that will delight and inspire millions of people every day.
- 4+ years of hands-on, detailed product design experience
- Strong analytical skills with regard to mechanical engineering theory
- Experience working in technical project groups in a professional environment
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (any modeling package)
- Basic GD&T knowledge and experience releasing 2D drawings
- Proficiency in performing tolerance analyses
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Practical experience working through DFM challenges with external vendors
- Wide knowledge of basic engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience with vendor FAI/CPK dimensional reports
- Consumer electronics knowledge in a majority of these disciplines: industrial design, optics and lenses, cameras, sensors, displays, PCBs and flexes, silicon, antennas, batteries, thermals
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including emails, preparing slide presentations, and presenting technical concepts to multi-disciplinary teams
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Detail orientated and capable of handling multiple assignments at once
- Experience designing for weight reduction
- Experience in ergonomics and human fit
- Experience collaborating with Asian manufacturing facilities, specifically in high- volume mass production
- Travel will be 15-25% and you must be willing to move to the Bay Area. This job can only be done from inside Apple's corporate headquarters.
Do you thrive on building solutions? Are you ready to explore a new domain with a talented team? We are literally the hands-on technical team that carries the design of Apple products through the entire process, from early prototyping to mass production. By joining our team, you'll work side by side with your teammates inside Apple and at our partner facilities to define parts of the system in CAD, create drawings, and collaborate with vendors to produce these parts. You will perform engineering analyses on your designs using appropriate methods such as hand calculation, computer simulation, FEA, and dimensional tolerance analysis. You will assemble early prototypes, travel to China to support engineering builds, and solve problems on the assembly line. Excellent communication skills including preparing slide presentations and participating in working meetings are critical. Our team is expected to set an example of technical excellence and you are responsible for your own work. Experience working and driving actions in Asian manufacturing facilities, especially high-volume mass production, will be highly valuable.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering required Master of Science preferred