Photonic Design Engineer - Exploratory Design Group
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. In this role, you will work within an Optical Science team, collaborating with a highly multi-disciplinary group, to develop and demonstrate new photonic sensor concepts. You will take advantage of your technical breadth as well as your depth of experience with integrated photonics.
- The ideal candidate will have 4+ total years of experience in integrated photonics, plus most of the following:
- Solid grasp of photonics and optoelectronics fundamentals.
- Experience with simulation of integrated optical active and passive components at both component and circuit level, including FDTD, waveguide mode solvers, and scatter matrix.
- Strong programming ability with Python, Matlab, or similar language.
- Experience with industry-standard physical verification methodology (DRC/LVS).
- Good understanding of a variety of optical measurement techniques, with hands-on experience characterizing optical devices.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment.
As a Photonic Design Engineer, you will have the following responsibilities: - Work with the System Engineering team to invent, implement and test optical sensor concepts. - Conduct first-principles numerical simulations of photonic devices and systems. - Identify causal relationships between observed system-level performance and specific device-level parameters. - Write specifications for custom optical devices, based on a combination of modeling and interpretation of empirical data. - Work with external vendors to design and fabricate custom optical devices and circuits meeting our system-level requirements. - Work with internal silicon engineering org. to develop and implement physical verification methodologies for integrated photonics. - Work with the team to test and validate fabricated devices and feedback test data to refine a photonics PDK.
Education & Experience
- PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Optics, EE, or related field is required.