Camera Framework Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
iPhone is the most popular camera in the world, with billions of photos taken every year. The seamless integration of software and hardware has led to features like Smart HDR, Portrait Mode, and Live Photos which deliver magical experiences that surprise and delight our customers. The CoreMedia Capture team in Camera & Photos is at the heart of the camera capture stack, and provides the camera foundation APIs and underlying real-time multithreaded media pipeline powering clients like iOS’s built-in Camera application, thousands of third-party applications, and even AR-based experiences. As an engineer working on the CoreMedia Capture team you'll work developing and extending our concurrent real-time pipeline, working side-by-side with the world-class engineers that built iPhone’s camera to what it is today, and build new great camera capabilities spanning the universe of Apple devices. Whenever you see a “Shot on iPhone” billboard, you see our work; it could be your work too. Come help make the most popular camera in the world even better. Come make your dent in the universe.
- You have 5+ years of multithreading software development experience.
- You are proficient in Objective-C or C/C++.
- You understand the challenges of API design and maintenance.
- You possess development and debugging experience on embedded mobile platforms.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and can communicate clearly while confidently driving multiple projects across many teams.
- You are passionate and inquisitive, and seek to solve everyday problems in innovative ways.
- You focus on details that are meaningful to our customer.
If you consider yourself an engaging and highly-collaborative engineer with excellent communication skills, and are comfortable in a dynamic environment, we feel we have a rewarding opportunity for you. We need a strong frameworks engineer to implement and extend the real-time camera capture pipeline powering our devices. Experience in developing real-time systems, concurrent processing, and performance- and memory-sensitive environments is critical. In addition, you ideally have a background in media and have a good working understanding of the various media formats.
Education & Experience
MS/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Unix / Linux highly desirable. Experience in iOS / macOS / Darwin is a major plus.
- Familiarity with H264/JVT, MPEG 4 as well as common media container formats, a plus.
- Familiarity with A/V compression/decompression, synchronization technology is desired.