PHY Systems Engineer - Cellular
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our Hardware Technology Engineering group, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge wireless systems and algorithms that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Do you want to have an impact on every single Apple product? As a PHY Systems & Algorithm Engineer on this team, you will be responsible for designing and simulating state of the art physical layer wireless communication systems. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of systems and algorithm development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of wireless communication systems with hands-on experience in lab testing & characterization.
- Deep-knowledge of communication system theory and signal processing will be essential for this role to design algorithms such as timing recovery, filter design, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairments estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, forward-error correction, OFDM, MIMO detection, etc.
- Experience with Matlab, C/C++ and/or Python for algorithm development, modeling (floating-point and fixed-point) and link-level simulation.
- Experience in low power algorithm design and High Level Synthesis (HLS) for power sensitive applications is helpful.
- Experience in chip bring-up including the use of lab equipment such as protocol test equipment, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power meters, etc..
- Knowledge of cellular communication standards: 5GNR, 4G LTE, 3G (HSPA), 2G GSM.
- Strong analytical skills (linear algebra, random processes, detection and estimation, etc.).
- Design and simulate state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication algorithms. - Implement system models and perform detailed performance investigations to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL development. - Collaborate with digital designers and firmware developers to realize algorithms with power and area efficient implementation.
Education & Experience
MS with 10+years of experience or Ph.D. with 7+ years of experience.