AC-DC Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love pursuing big challenges that require extraordinarily creative solutions? Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming excellent products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Position Overview: This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of power delivery designs and technologies with the exemplary company consistently bringing innovations in the industry. In this position, you will be part of developing innovative designs, which are implemented in products used by millions of people. The position involves state-of-the-art off-line power supply’s development for Apple’s next generation Macintosh and Home platforms spanning from, desktop computers, workstation, Apple TV, HomePod and standalone displays
- Ø Candidate must have hands-on experience of power supply design and possess deep knowledge of offline conversion topologies including Flyback, PFC, resonant converters and analog/digital controls loops.
- Ø Candidate must be intimately familiar with power supply safety and environmental certifications, offline controllers, components, magnetic design, power supply layout and state-of the art techniques for efficiency optimizations including no load/light load efficiency techniques.
- Ø Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- Ø Must possess deep understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Must possess knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance
- Ø Must be highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- Ø Ability to work well with multi-functional teams is deeply important
- Ø Proven track record of working in dynamic innovative work environment
- Ø Ideal candidate is with work experience in computer industry and/or power supply module companies
- Ø MUST BE WILLING TO OVERSEAS TRAVEL AS NEEDED
As a AC-DC power supply design engineer, you will be driving innovative products design and execution from concept investigation and design analysis to successful production execution; that includes - design analysis, modeling & simulations, schematic/BOM generation, PCB layout, DFM, prototype developments, tests & validations, qualification, safety/REL certifications and taking product to production using large volume manufacturing OEMs. You must be a hands-on power supply circuit designer and be able to design power supply without being dependent on external power supply vendors. 1. Participate in core architecture investigation while working closely with Power architect; Select the best design option for power metric performance optimization including but not limited to efficiency, power density, cost, reduced carbon foot print and scalability 2. Lead Power supply design concept definition in collaboration with multi-functional team and power supply module vendors in some cases. 3. Provide design simulation, calculations and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome 4. Provide design risk assessments, mitigation plans, development lessons learned and proof of concepts 5. Provide design Schematic and BOM; Work with layout team for power supply layouts. Conduct design and layout reviews with multi-functional teams. Adhere to robust design methodologies for successful project execution. 6. Provide prototypes test and validation results, document multi-dimensional activities. Hands-on work in lab is must. 7. Stay on top of state-of-the-art technologies and Perform bold bench marking for each project 8. Provide technical support for production issues debug and resolutions 9. Conduct power supply seminars and training for multi-functional teams 10) Spear head innovation through exemplary behavior and collaboration
Education & Experience
Ø MSEE in power electronics with and/or 5 years experience MUST.