Machine Learning Researcher / Computational Neuroscientist
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Apple is dedicated to advancing the state-of-the art in Artificial Intelligence. As part of this focus, we are building a team of exceptional researchers and engineers who can infuse intelligence into our devices and services that touch the lives of millions of users everyday. AI Research (AIR) team is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of ML Researcher. Our team pursues research & development in the areas of Machine Learning with a focus on Deep Learning, Biomedical Engineering, Signal Processing, Statistics, Optimization, and Reinforcement Learning. As a member of the team, you will work on some of the most challenging technical problems, develop new ML solutions that will impact future Apple products, and collaborate with the best product teams to integrate your ideas into products. In addition, you will engage with the academic community by publishing your innovative research, and speaking at conferences and events.
- PhD in Computational Neuroscience, Signal Processing, Computer Science or related fields
- Demonstrated track record of building ML solutions for large scale time-series datasets.
- Expertise in one or more of the following: signal processing, multimodal sensing, sensor fusion, time series, time-frequency analysis, and dynamical systems
- Strong publication record demonstrating innovative research
- Fluency in a high-level programming language (Python and/or Matlab)
- Knowledge of common ML frameworks (scikit-learn, pandas and deep learning toolboxes such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe, etc)
- Expected to perform well in a fast-paced environment, to execute on the tasks assigned, to meet the production deadlines and, at the same time, to explore independently new innovative ideas that can improve and transform the product experience of Apple customers
- Be able to deliver ML technologies aligned with the core values of Apple, ensuring the highest standards of quality, scientific rigor, innovation, and respect for user privacy
- Great presentation and writing skills
- Experience with clinical trials and with multimodal datasets is a plus
This is a multi-faceted scientific role that will require you to be versatile across a variety of tasks in a highly collaborative environment. You will research and develop innovative ML strategies for challenging problems that will affect future Apple products. You will collaborate with broader teams across Apple to transfer AI/ML solutions. You will have opportunities to provide technical mentorship and guidance, prepare technical reports for publication and conference talks. You have a strong research background and have made original contributions to both basic science and to the development of novel data analytical methods. You are an expert in navigating large and noisy data sets, embrace uncertainty, and have a strong foundation in machine learning and numerical computing. You are self-motivated, excellent problem solver, and a fast learner. You are quick to forge relationships and comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have strong programming skills with tried experience crafting, prototyping, and delivering advanced algorithmic solutions.
Education & Experience
PhD in Computational Neuroscience, Signal Processing, Computer Science or related fields
- Postdoctoral and/or industry research experience
- Hands-on experience with convolutional networks and recurrent neural networks (LSTMs, GRUs and etc.).
- Hardware and software experience with multimodal data acquisition, instrumentation, and human-machine interfaces
- Knowledge of perceptual/behavioral evaluations and physiological measurements
- Prototyping experience