Engineering Manager – Apple Maps Search
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Apple Maps Search is looking for an expert engineering manager to lead an engineering team focused on building algorithms and solutions to improve the Business Search on Apple Maps. You will be leading a team of highly hardworking applied science and systems engineers using machine learning and deep learning at scale, and will be directly responsible for mentoring and developing this team. You will also have an opportunity to influence the future for Maps Search.
- Experience in leading and managing teams, preferably working on information retrieval domains like search, personalization, recommender systems, assistants or related areas.
- Experience and understanding of indexing and ranking algorithms
- Experience in distributed systems/services
- Experience building and developing teams and providing technical leadership
- Experience programming in Java or C++ or Python or equivalent
- Proven track record of execution and delivery
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills - collaborate with partner teams and communicating specs and roadmaps to product management and executives
Apple Maps are being used by millions of users every single day and powers thousands of applications. Our mission is simple — build the best maps in the world. As a fundamental tool for human activity, Maps technology is evolving and new techniques are emerging. As a part of Apple Maps Search team, you will play a big part in the next revolution in maps to enable users to find things in maps by working in a high-performing and collaborative environment. As a technical leader in Maps Search, you and your team will be responsible for defining, developing, evaluating and deploying variety of features ranging from large scale machine learning models, deep learning and natural language processing solutions geared towards improving Search on Maps in a variety of end user scenarios. You will also collaborate effectively with partner/product teams to set the goals, expectations and roadmap for your team. As a leader, you will provide technical/career guidance to your team to help them succeed in their jobs. Successful managers at Apple are able to own details of projects and long term vision for the team, getting their hands dirty with data/code consistently. You should also have strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate on technical details / dependencies to engineering partners, product management teams, and executives across Apple. Ultimately, your work would have a huge impact on millions of our users across the globe.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent with 10+ years of experience. PhD preferred. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.