Group Manager - Battery Management Systems
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Are you seeking to push the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our Battery Engineering group, craft creative battery solutions that deliver more energy in smaller spaces than ever before. We work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new battery technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what batteries can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming exceptional products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of Battery Management Systems where you will develop future BMS technologies with a hardworking team of engineers in a highly collaborative and multi-functional environment. The ideal manager has a validated history of leading teams to develop revolutionary changes in technology is well versed in building strong teams and effective at driving culture, methodologies, and workflow. You will also have experience developing and commercializing robust battery management solutions for complex products in consumer, industrial, telecom or automotive markets. Be a part of the leadership team developing new class of battery systems involving algorithms, architectures and products to improve the utility of batteries.
- 7 to 10 years of experience in 1) transforming customer application problems/issues into critical product that enable customer’s systems, 2) working with highly collaborative teams to define the architecture, requirements, and specification while building an environment that promotes innovation, and 3) providing execution leadership in product design, product design-in, and/or application support.
- Experience in managing engineering organization with emphasis on building world-class teams and changing both internal and external culture, workflow, and process as necessary when the opportunity arises to prepare an organization from evolutionary to revolutionary development.
- Experience in organization where engineering process and workflows need to be developed from first principles involving multiple internal and external stakeholders. Proven track record to synthesize, implement, and certify process on short time scales.
- Experience in both engineering design and management in systems and/or mix-signal ICs
- Familiar with directing application teams to support product definition and design-in/debug in customer systems.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in innovative and creative product development in battery management domain.
- Familiarity with BMS core technologies and its interactions/dependencies between algorithms, cell chemistry, embedded processor, control systems, custom IC requirement specifications, HW, SW, FW, and telemetry
- Experienced in working with silicon teams to drive BMS hardware requirements/specifications, architecture/feature tradeoffs and design compliance.
- Familiarity with detailed workings of different battery chemistries and their limitations.
- Strong aptitude towards detailed and rigorous work emphasizing on simple and elegant designs for mass production. Strong presentation and leadership skills. Ability to develop reciprocal networks among peers and multi-functional teams quickly. Excellent written and verbal communication and social skills. Self-starter with excellent time management skills and visionary spirit. Relies on data to support technical decisions.
The system group within the Battery Management System organization is a critical and highly collaborative team that bridges the knowledge domains among application platform and the internal/external technology teams to define and deliver a distributed BMS that enables the application to achieve world class control on energy and power throughout the entire product life-cycle. The system group will engage in 1. Translating a deep comprehension of the application system’s challenges, problems, and roadmap into the BMS domain that includes algorithm, firmware, and hardware 2. Driving the convergence of a distributed BMS architecture among the different technology components stakeholders and synthesizing sub-system requirements and specifications 3. Synthesizing BMS roadmap, architecture, and system designs that are solutions to both identified and foreseeable application platform problems 4. Leading cross-functional teams to execute the roadmap and validating the BMS system before delivery to the application 5. Embedding resources within the application and cross-functional teams to integrate the BMS into the platform and then supporting the application platform verification & validation 6. Identifying the right problems to solve longer term R&D The manager of the system group needs to provide the leadership to execute on the system group mission with focus on assuring that BMS systems/architecture are the best solution to the application platform problems and to build/grow the team for flawless technical delivery of solutions from concept to production.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD desired in Electrical Engineering
- Some travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected < 5%