2G & 3G PHY Systems Engineer - Cellular
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our modem development team, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge wireless systems and algorithms that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Do you want to have an impact on every single Apple product? As a 2G & 3G PHY Systems & Algorithm Engineer on this team, you will be responsible for designing, simulating and maintaining state of the art physical layer wireless communication systems. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of systems and algorithm development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of GSM and/or UMTS/HSPA wireless communication systems
- Experience in wireless wireless design of 3GPP compliant modems, especially in GSM and UMTS highly desired
- Hands on experience on lab testing & characterization will be a plus. Experience on bring up real silicon in lab and familiarity with lab equipment such as signal generators, spectrum analyzers, power meters a plus.
- Deep understanding of communication theory & signal processing related algorithms design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairment estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, etc.)
- Experience with Matlab or Python and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, HW control
- Experience and knowledge on High Level Synthesis (HLS) will be a plus
- Experience on bring up real silicon in lab, be able to efficiently use lab equipment (such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc).
In this technical role, you will be steering physical layer system design and algorithm development as part of a modem development group responsible for state-of-the-art wireless products. • Design and simulate state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication system algorithms for very high data rate applications. • Implement fixed-point models and perform detailed performance investigation to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL bit-exact development. • Work with digital designers to realize these algorithms with power and area efficient digital implementations. • Test and characterize real silicon in lab.
Education & Experience
MS with 10 Years experience or Ph.D. with 7 years experience.