Business Affairs Manager, Photography
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple’s Worldwide Marketing Communications Department (Marcom) designs and delivers iconic brand images and experiences to various sites, apps, and retail stores. We lead all of Apple’s advertising and marketing to ensure the flawless development and execution of world-class communications. We work on high-impact projects that serve various lines of business, use the latest technologies, and continue to evolve and deliver solutions on a worldwide scale. The Business Affairs Manager, Photography will work closely with the Apple Marketing Communications Photo Department and Apple Legal to develop content and secure rights and clearances for photos for use in worldwide marketing materials. Materials are used in global marketing communications including web, direct marketing, packaging, Internet and social media, events, retail and channel.
- You have a minimum of 10 years of prior experience in rights related positions in the advertising or the photography industry.
- You have a strong knowledge of copyright, trademark and licensing in the area of photography or advertising law with particular emphasis on digital content/technology initiatives.
- You have a solid understanding of intellectual property rights (a law degree is helpful but not required) ideally gained from experience working in a marketing, advertising and/or agency environment.
- You have extensive up-to-date industry knowledge on licensing issues in a wide variety of media.
- Self-motivated and flexible. Able to deal with rapid change in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Highly collaborative, with strong communication skills, and a creative problem solver.
- As part of our team, your calm approach coupled with an energetic and focused demeanor will lead you to success
- Maintain communication with team leads to make sure information is flowing properly, action items are clear, and issues are raised at the right time and to the right people.
- You are a self-starter who can prioritize and lead multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to partner with Apple Legal in the application of legal standards in Apple marketing, including:
- Experience drafting licensing agreements
- Understanding of technology laws as they pertain to IP issues in photography and advertising
- Understanding of industry standards around distribution of traditional media
Leading a segment of the Business Affairs function within the U.S. Business Affairs team. You will work closely with Photo Producers and Photo Researchers to understand marketing deliverables and negotiate appropriate third party usage rights for Talent, Photography and Illustration agreements. Coordinating with Photo Department to execute licensing agreements with independent photographers and stock agencies, both within the US and worldwide. Negotiating talent upgrade fees when licensing terms require extension. Providing Photo Team with senior-level advice and guidance on legal issues, surrounding their projects Helping to manage and call out risk related conversations to the Apple Legal team. Communicating with Director of Business Affairs on issues and approach in order to work cohesively and consistently. Communicating with Photo team leads on best practices, processes and workflow for the Photo team. You are dynamic and remain curious, asking questions and digging deep to find solutions.
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree Preferred.