Design and Development Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
As a key member of the Global Real Estate and Development (RE&D) team, the Design and Development Manager will be responsible for supporting pre-construction activities to ensure regulatory compliance, consistent/predictable entitlement/plan review/permit outcomes, and improved government/consultant relationships. This position supports the RE&D team, other corporate teams & end users on project planning, code strategies, design concepts, and plan review/permit process related to production/corporate events, new construction, renovations, real estate transactions, and other miscellaneous planning & building projects. The Design & Development Manager is expected to collaborate closely with and support Apple team members responsible for corporate and global events, real estate & development, environmental health and safety, space planning, and legal. This results-oriented and collaborative manager will be expected to integrate into Apple’s fast-paced and innovative culture, while effectively navigating local city government development review and plan check processes.
- 5+ years progressively responsible experience in architecture, plan review examiner/engineer, development project management, city planning; SCV, working with technology companies/city jurisdiction experience, and office/commercial building planning/design highly desired
- Professional architectural registration/licensure and/or plan review examiner certifications highly desired
- Highly experienced and skilled in building design, architecture, plan review principles, building codes, fire and life safety codes, city process/regulations, and office/commercial construction systems & principles
- Professional knowledge in city planning, engineering principles and methods, with demonstrated ability to read and interpret detailed blueprints, specifications, and codes
- Well versed in requirements surrounding building occupancies, accessibility, emergency egress, and building live safety systems
- Expertise in plan review process and city permits and entitlement processes
- Ability to make accurate and decisive decisions and highly skilled in communication, conflict mediation and problem resolution
- Exceptional written, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Customer service, team building, people management, and problem solving skills are essential
Provide support and strategic paths for development projects to comply with local building, fire, and planning regulations/codes Illustrate and review concepts and test fits for code solutions and mitigations Establish and manage relationships with project managers, design/technical consultants, government officials/entities/agencies, construction professionals, where Apple is located in SCV and across the United States. Participate in the critical due diligence review and analysis for real estate engagements globally. Review drawings and plans for code compliance and consistency Participate in internal preliminary reviews to align on submittal completeness and anticipated City requirements, plan review comments, and code paths. Coordinate and lead meetings with local jurisdictions/agencies to discuss and resolve project review comments and deficiencies. Provide clarification and strategies on City codes and requirements and help delineate project review/permit paths, parameters, and dependencies. Assist in the internal review and evaluation of project design and construction plans Provide building and fire code analysis, guides, and updates. Assist in coordinating and drafting Alternative Materials and Methods applications Develop and implement training programs and internal process improvements to ensure added project efficiency and consistency. Drive and execute initiatives & projects to proactively audit and ensure code compliance throughout Apple occupied facilities and properties. Provide development services support and consultation to other Apple teams ensuring a smooth and successful permitting process & experience.
Education & Experience
Prefer: Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, planning, or a related field