Senior Software Engineering Manager, Self-Service Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. Will you join us in crafting solutions that do not yet exist? Apple’s Self-Service Engineering team is seeking a Software Engineering Manager with large-scale, enterprise web application experience, strong communication, and technical leadership skills. You will lead the team to brainstorm, design, and deploy web applications, services and frameworks used by Apple’s customers across the globe.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in managing a team of engineers
- Minimum 8 years of experience in hands-on development of systems
- Solid foundation in architectural design, data structures and algorithms.
- Deep understanding of distributed systems design principles.
- Knowledge of Linux, operating systems, networking protocols, security, and file systems.
- Fluency in Java, Python, or other modern programming languages with strength in design patterns and OO design.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and managing systems that offer self-service and self-healing capabilities.
- Familiarity with distributed queues, databases, networking protocols, and stream processing.
- Passion for high-quality code, tests, CI/CD, documentation, and addressing recurring problems with software solutions.
We are seeking an experienced software engineering manager, to lead a team of hardworking individuals that support our engineering efforts. In this role you will be responsible for providing technical leadership for large scale and high traffic products, mentoring junior managers, partnering with many teams across Apple and recruiting extraordinary talent to strengthen the team. You will engage in system and platform design for customer facing products that can reach 1 Billion+ devices daily. Building systems to support this scale brings unique and fundamental challenges, and we are seeking key individuals who are passionate about highly scalable, fault-tolerant and robust systems. - Lead a team of highly-skilled engineers, empower and enable them to deliver best in class technology solutions. - Define, prioritize, and deliver on an inspiring product strategy and roadmap. - Managing scope and timelines for project deliverables - Cultivate an environment that emphasizes collaboration, accountability, and creativity. - Develop and evolve the team's processes, values, and culture, with a focus on camaraderie, efficiency and simplicity. - Provide technical leadership and mentorship to engineers, with an emphasis on coaching and career development.
Education & Experience
BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Proficient in communicating and championing technical ideas with all levels of the organization including executives.
- Strong ability to prioritize, and push to completion aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to engage in vigorous debate to arrive upon the simplest possible solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage difficult situations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Driven, inventive, curious, and a fast learner.