CoreMedia Performance Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Interactive Media Group (IMG) provides the media and graphics foundation across all of Apple's innovative products. IMG takes the media experience to the next level on the iOS, tvOS, watchOS, macOS and Windows platforms with technologies such as AVFoundation, CoreMedia, CoreAudio and VideoToolbox. The CoreMedia engineering team within IMG is responsible for implementing software services around linear audiovisual media. This includes local media playback, video-on-demand and live streaming of multimedia content. Our media engine is used across Apple products such as Safari, TV, Photos, Music, Videos, iMovie on iOS and macOS as well as 3rd party applications. Our team is looking for a self-motivated software engineer with a strong technical and programming background and extensive experience in performance optimization for media processing on advanced multithreaded multicore systems. Experience with media playback and export (transcoding) systems is required.
- 5+ years experience working in a large software development organization
- Strong coding skills in C on embedded platforms
- Experience with and understanding of real-time multithreaded programming systems
- Knowledge of memory and compute performance analysis and characterization
- Experience with performance optimizations for speed, memory and power
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The successful candidate for this role is a team-oriented professional with excellent communication skills and is comfortable in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate has experience in systems-level programming and has worked as part of a team implementing video processing and/or capture functionality. The candidate will be continually improving CoreMedia services performance by analyzing the system characteristics and addressing existing issues as well as optimizing the design and software of the authoring, playback and exporting machinery. The work will require collaborating with cross-functional teams in an effort to realize higher levels of performance across the overall system.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Nice, but not required:
- Experience with Xcode, Instruments and the macOS development toolchain
- Experience with iOS and macOS framework performance optimization
- Experience with Performance Toolkit, Performance Counter tools, VTune, XPerf/GPUView, valgrind or similar tools
- Experience with assembler optimization
- Experience leading projects and teams