Data Center Construction Project Manager
Reno, Nevada, United States
Do you have a passion for working on massive construction projects? Are you capable of bringing some of the most innovative design and technology insights to life? Are you able to collaborate and balance between cross-functional priorities through multiple phases of projects? As a member of our Data Center Construction team you will lead all aspects of development for some of the most innovative and energy efficient data centers in the world. This project management position will support our Reno, Nevada data center growth by coordinating with various teams including engineering, construction, commissioning, network and operations to bring our ideas from paper to building and ultimately to the cloud.
- 5+ years experience as a data center (or similar) construction project manager
- Deep knowledge of the construction industry/market, design process, and construction practices.
- Strong background in data center/commercial/industrial construction to include mechanical, electrical, process piping, plumbing building systems, tenant improvement, site work and ground up construction.
- Management of LEED certified projects.
- Skilled in reading design and construction drawings for all disciplines.
- Ability to develop cost estimates, schedules, and analyze Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Experience with greenfield sites and associated entitlements.
- Experience with utility infrastructure, including construction and coordination of local utilities to site.
- Experience with the fast track design build construction model.
- Solid knowledge of data center facilities and their operation.
- Lead multiple projects including equipment upgrades and modifications within live data center production environments in parallel with new construction efforts.
- Excellent planning, analytical, organization and problem solving skills.
- Work independently and as a team member to drive projects to their objectives/goals.
- Ability to gracefully adjust to meet changing circumstances such as reassignment of project priority, implementation of design enhancements/upgrades, and customer needs.
- Ability to provide useful input on design and constructibility.
- Fluent and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to establish and maintain close working relationships with management, colleagues, team members, internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to fully utilize Apple products to do your job as efficiently as possible.
- Ability to consistently travel between different project sites across the nation as required.
- Position is based in Reno, Nevada. - Travel for meetings at corporate headquarters in the Cupertino, CA area. - Manage and support design professionals including architects, engineers, and other specialty consultants from initial programming to construction completion. - Ability to handle due diligence of project sites and to assist with entitlements. - Professionally represent Apple’s interest at all meetings with Consultants, General Contractors, and Suppliers. - Engage and maintain positive working relationships with the local jurisdictions/departments. - Meet with internal strategic engineering groups, operations, network teams and business units to collect detailed project requirements. - Drive both internal and external stakeholders to meet deadlines as required per the project delivery schedule. - Create and maintain the project budget including securing internal approvals for capital funding. - Provide budget analysis (cost models and trending) and value engineering. - Engagement and management of General Contractors to include competitive bidding and negotiation of contracts and cost proposals. - Review and comment on contracts and terms and conditions as it pertains to costing and deliverables for a project or scope. - Review all proposals and change order requests from the Consultants, General Contractor, Suppliers, and Subcontractors. Prepare and present comparative cost analysis. - Engage and coordinate with Apple IT, Security, and the AV design and installation teams. - Participate in analyzing potential mechanical, electrical, and process piping solutions and providing constructive feedback. - Mobilize and set up project offices. - Set up, coordinate and participate all construction meetings (OAC, BIM, Subcontractor coordination etc). - Coordination, ordering, and installation oversight of building signage, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) requirements, furniture, infrastructure components, and major equipment for each project. - Prepare and present weekly status updates on project schedule, costs and cost projections for all contractors and scopes of work. - Experience with PLC & DDC building management systems with the ability to lead design discussions. - Management and oversight of commissioning agents with experience in reviewing sequence of operations and test scripts. - Ability to engage site operations team from design to project turn over.
Education & Experience
Prefer: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Construction Management