Performance Analysis Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s GPU Software team provides the graphics software foundation across all of Apple's innovative products, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and Apple Watch. Our responsibilities encompass the frameworks, developer tools, and device drivers for the GPU and Display on all Apple hardware. Metal 2 provides near-direct access to the graphics processing unit (GPU), enabling you to improve the graphics and compute potential of apps on iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. Building upon an efficient low-overhead architecture with precompiled shaders, fine-grained resource control, and multithreading support, Metal 2 further boosts performance by enabling the GPU to take more control of the rendering pipeline. Moving beyond just graphics, Metal 2's deep support for GPU-accelerated machine learning and improved developer tools make it even easier to debug, optimize, and deploy Metal apps. On Mac, Metal 2 adds support for virtual reality (VR) rendering and external GPUs and provides new APIs and optimizations to help developers adopt these new technologies within their apps.
- Experience with iOS and macOS
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge of GPU performance strengths and deficiencies
- Excellent understanding of triaging problems
- Strong software and hardware debugging skills
- Experience with GPU performance testing and measuring benchmarks
- Experience analyzing performance of 3D applications and games
- Experience debugging software and complex SOC hardware performance issues
- Lab skills (operation of lab equipment, interested and able to work in the lab)
- Experience configuring systems for accurate performance measurements
- Experience with automated test execution and maintaining automated tests in Python and Bash
- Knowledge of graphics APIs a plus
We are looking for an extraordinary performance analysis engineer with a passion for graphics. Are you a self-motivated individual who flourishes with being involved in all phases of development? If so, we want you to help drive excellent performance of Apple’s latest GPU technologies in software and hardware. To be successful in this role, you have a passion for games, applications, and benchmarks on embedded systems. Responsibilities include executing and enhancing performance tests both automated and manual. You will triage and debug issues to identify whether they are related to software or hardware. Additionally, you will work closely with engineers from driver, framework, hardware, and architecture teams to analyze and improve performance. You will also have the opportunity to influence improvements in methodology and tools. Bonus if you have an eye towards optimizing the analysis of large data set through automation.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in EE, CS, or related field or relevant Experience.