Designer, Design Systems, Marcom
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
A Designer on the Design Systems team works closely with creative and technical disciplines to create considered and elegant design systems supporting a range of Apple platforms. This hands-on design role balances creativity and logic, and helps ensure a holistic approach is thoughtfully applied across platform typography, iconography, and shared interface elements. The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of branding principles, style guides, and product design; an elegant design aesthetic, with exceptional attention to detail; Photoshop and Sketch expertise, with working knowledge of HTML and CSS for Web systems, or Human Interface Guidelines for app creation.
- Audit current implementations, and identify potential areas for simplification and improved consistency.
- Create beautiful, holistic design systems with a high degree of polish and attention to detail.
- Design with flexibility in mind; ensure designs are extendable, accessible, and adaptive to varying workflows, viewports, technologies, and locales.
- Stress test designs across all possible variations, and refine as needed.
- Create prototypes to convey states, transitions, and/or behaviors.
- Prepare design files for final documentation. Ensure layout, typography, and specs are pixel perfect.
- Communicate flexibilities and/or limitations to both designers and development, as needed.
- Work closely with team leads to understand design direction and priorities.
- Collaborate with art directors and larger project teams to explore and iterate on design options.
- Consult with technical disciplines to ensure designs work within given limitations, and files are prepared with all necessary information to support the design intent.
- Promote thoughtful and purposeful design, rather than an enforcement of rules.
- Help define and/or improve how teams collaborate and leverage existing tools.
- Determine the best medium and optimize design files for creative review — be it print, onscreen visuals, prototype, or code.
- Create presentation flows that establish and build on a foundation of design rationale.
- Clearly articulate design rationale and any applicable limitations.
- Participate in healthy debates to ensure design systems are as robust and considered as possible.
- Keen interest in strengthening brand identity through a balance of consistency and flexibility. - Proficient in the formal elements of design, with a strong focus on typography, balance, and proportion. - Systematic thinker; able to anticipate the impact of design decisions well in advance of their application. - Passion for pixel perfection and order. Unparalleled attention to detail. - Positive, collaborative approach to communication; help clarify design options in a way that is clear to creative, project management, and development staff. - Ability to follow direction, and propose sound alternatives, as needed. - Manage time and expectations for completing work correctly, and on time. - Ability to thrive in a challenging, fast-paced, creative workplace. - A minimum of 3 years experience in product design, UI, defining or extending design systems and/or brand guidelines. - Photoshop and Sketch expertise. Excellent digital file structure and asset management skills, including file organization and preparation of flawless files for design team use. - Clear communication and presentation skills that speak to both creative and technical audiences. - Strong understanding of development technologies, including HTML, CSS, and/or iOS. - Preferred: Working knowledge of Principle.
Education & Experience
BA or BFA in Graphic Design (or equivalent).