Senior Software Development Engineer
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Software and Services
Want to contribute to the platform enabling the next generation of intelligent experiences in Apple products & services? Our group builds web-based tools that machine learning engineers from many Apple organizations depend on to create high impact product features. As a senior software engineer on our team you will lead the design and implementation of major new pieces of our popular internal machine learning platform. You’ll work with data scientists and ML engineers to identify useful and innovative functionality for model training and evaluation pipelines and then make it happen. Our friendly, enthusiastic, and accomplished team is actively growing; you will be encouraged and supported to do the best work of your career here, and you will have tremendous opportunity for impact. Pittsburgh is regularly recognized as one of the United States’ most livable cities and our office is located on the campus of Carnegie Mellon University, one of the world’s top research universities for computer science. We offer a flexible, family-friendly working environment and a wide range of benefits.
- Demonstrated experience delivering reliable, scalable, performant, and secure web-based systems and services in production.
- Expert software design and development skills, and a passion for code quality.
- Strong foundation in computer science fundamentals including data structures and algorithms.
- Creative, collaborative, and focused on user experience and value.
- Can independently prioritize and make progress on multiple work streams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Comfortable representing our work to partners and leaders.
This role includes the following responsibilities and requirements: Architecture, design, development, debugging, documentation, and operation of large-scale systems designed for machine learning. This includes distributed systems for data management and computation as well as web oriented APIs and user interfaces. You should be comfortable and eager to work on either the front or back end of web based products. Partner with both data scientists and machine learning engineers across different Apple organizations to define impactful product features and deliver them with quality. Take pride and ownership in delivering delightful user experiences. Be able to stay on top of state-of-the-art technologies and apply them in the job. Lead other engineers and demonstrate standard methodologies for software engineering. Support and mentor junior engineers. Be knowledgable and productive with a wide variety of front and back-end technologies. Experience with any of the following technologies is particularly desirable: TypeScript, Python, Go, Java, HTML/CSS, React, Redis, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Spark, Solr or ElasticSearch, Docker/Kubernetes, AWS, Git. Previous experience with machine learning pipelines, model evaluation, and data visualization is a plus.
Education & Experience
B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field, and 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Learn more about your EEO rights as an applicant
- Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. United States Department of Labor.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you’re applying for a position in San Francisco, review the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance guidelines applicable in your area.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.