Display Exploration Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is looking for a world class engineer to join a multi-disciplinary team exploring new display technologies. This position focuses on identifying, prototyping, characterizing, and communicating new display technologies for current and future Apple products. We are looking to add experts in optics and computational display or imaging. A successful candidate will work with cross-functional team on investigating advanced display technologies, the display architecture, prototyping, and system integration. We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly motivated. The team features a diverse engineering roster including optical engineers, display engineers, software developers, human perception experts, and product design engineers. A successful candidate needs to be a flexible thinker and be able to problem solve outside of their respective technical area. Join a unique display exploration team within Apple. Think you know what the displays of the future will be? Help Apple create them!
- Engineering background in displays, optics, human perception, or physics.
- Solid background in at least one of the following areas:
- Physical optics, geometrical optics, light source technology
- Computational imaging / displays
- Optical numerical modeling
- Understanding of display hardware and technologies and basic optical design
- Prior experience prototyping new technologies
- Capable of prototyping, metrology, conducting design of experiments, and analytical data processing.
- 2+ years of experience working with optical modeling software (Zemax preferred)
- 2+ years of experience in MATLAB/Python programming
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Working in an R&D lab as well as writing code Technology investigation for new computational display systems. Designing new optical calibration and optical characterization methods for new displays. Optical simulation of the physical and optical characteristics of new displays Creating optical hardware prototypes to demonstrate new technologies. Designing and constructing new metrology tools, including optical imaging and sensing systems, and conducting optical measurements. Writing software to interact with displays, sensors, 3rd party systems. Effectively communicate the advantages, disadvantage, and risks of the device Shepard the technologies into both external supplier and internal product roadmaps Conducting design of experiments, and analytical data processing.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Optical science, Computer science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent with 2+ years of work experience, PhD with industrial experience is preferred.