Product Design Engineering Manager
Austin, Texas, United States
At Apple, the customer experience extends beyond the product itself. Apple packaging is often the first time that people contemplate and experience delight in the unboxing experience. The Packaging team is a cohesive and diverse group of Product Design engineers responsible for the exploration and implementation of new and innovative designs in structural packaging for all Apple products. The team is firmly committed to making huge impacts in environmental sustainability through our creative design, technology development, and innovative use of materials in packaging. We are seeking an enthusiastic leader to build and direct a growing Austin, TX-based team of Product Design Engineers in the areas of packaging design and validation. This team will be working with cross-functional partners to update existing packaging architectures to achieve new requirements that arise from changes in product geometry, inbox accessories, environmental and regulatory requirements, etc. The engineer will also focus on moving our currently shipping packaging designs into more environmentally-friendly designs. The position requires you to provide technical guidance for your direct reports, prioritize resources with the Packaging Leadership team, engage in hands-on project-based work, and strategize regarding relationships with other internal and external teams, including suppliers. You must be comfortable with ambiguity, and skilled in working through it in order to bring clarity to your teams and peers. On a daily basis, you will engage in collaborative work with a range of communication styles and personalities, utilize your fluency in product development and design characterization. We encourage anyone who is passionate about sustainability and the environment, building relationships, developing top technical talent, and approaching problem solving with curiosity and imagination to apply. We value people with a desire to learn new skills and a mindset that challenging questions are opportunities for insight. To that end, we are committed to professional development across all aspects of materials and communication with mentorship and training opportunities both within and outside Apple.
- Experience managing a team of engineers in the test or product development process
- Ability to apply engineering analysis, creative problem solving, attention to detail, and diligence in finding the best solution for each design challenge
- New technology scoping, including evaluation of supplier capabilities
- Strong background in characterizing and specifying designs and performance in quantitative terms
- Experience developing products and package designs for high volume manufacturing
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with overseas vendors
- Highly effective communication skills; ability to clearly explain complex issues to a variety of audiences, think about the big picture when communicating, and report technical details succinctly
- Proven track record in peer collaboration and teamwork; willingness to solicit input and accept feedback
- Comfort working both independently and collaboratively on tight deadlines in a supportive environment
- Strong attention to detail and resolution to solve complex problems
- Organize and grow your team through recruiting, interviewing, and professional development mentoring - Develop collaboration tools and best practices for working with Cupertino-based teams - Deliver on individual projects while also driving results within direct reports’ projects - Establish and manage relationships with manufacturers/suppliers to identify emerging technologies. Collaborate with them on the development of new technologies to meet Apple’s product roadmap needs - Develop creative solutions that enable environmentally responsible package designs - Collaborate with product design, reliability, and manufacturing operations groups on test selection, design feasibility and manufacturing process development - Travel to Cupertino periodically for project meetings and team development - Travel to factories to fully understand their technical capabilities, quality requirements and resolve difficult production-related issues - Work with operations teams to evaluate and develop a highly capable supply chain
Education & Experience
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Material Science or related fields. - 5+ years of experience in Product Design Engineering, Packaging or related technical fields.