Software Engineer, Maps Data team
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple Maps is changing, and data is in the driver’s seat. Our mission is to build the best map in the world. We work in a fast-paced data-focused environment where Data Scientists are given runway to own big projects and drive impact across the Maps organization. We are looking for a talented, experienced Software Engineer to join our cross-functional team, focusing on the deep evaluation of Maps services and features. We work directly with the Engineering and Product teams responsible for search, routing, recommendation, and other algorithms that impact our millions of users every day.
- Experience with at least one programming/scripting language (e.g., Python, Scala, Java)
- Experience with at least one database language (e.g., SQL)
- Prior industry experience with Big Data using technologies like Hadoop, and Spark
- Experience in developing applications including RESTful API backend and web frontend such as React
- Solid communication and presentation skills
Automate data analyses and pipelines using open source big data frameworks. Build platform and pipelines (typically in Python or Scala) to drive hypothesis generation and support collaborative decision-making with our partner teams in engineering and product management. Be the domain expert of Data Science Engineering, help setting up proper engineering process. Design engineering solutions that streamline the communications between internal tools, and solutions that detect data logging or metrics computation issues. Use data intuition to translate hard product goals and business problems into solvable data science problems.
Education & Experience
Advanced degrees in Computer Science, Statistics, Physics, Operations Research, or similar quantitative domain.
- Nice-to-have Experience
- Experience writing Scala for automating analytic tasks at scale.
- Background with large-scale experimentation platform.
- Experience with high-volume, low-latency Web Applications for mission-critical systems and delivering high-availability and performance.
- Experience in crafting and developing applications with RESTful APIs using Java and Java based frameworks.
- Web development experience using JS frameworks such as ReactJS or AngularJS preferred.
- Development experience in data storage and processing technologies (Hadoop, Spark) preferred.