Product Design Manager - SoftGoods
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are looking for a highly motivated product design manager. You will lead a 4-8 person team that engages with cross-functional partners to conceive, design, validate, and launch exciting new products. You will work closely with many different groups, including Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Operations, Packaging, Reliability, Thermal, and Software. The team is responsible for products in the following categories: iPhone cases, iPad accessories, Watch bands, Audio, as well as supporting other teams at Apple that wish to use soft goods materials in their designs. By joining our team, you will work side by side with your teammates inside Apple and at our partner facilities to define CAD, create drawings, and collaborate with vendors to produce these parts. You will perform engineering analyses on your designs using appropriate methods such as hand calculation, computer simulation, FEA, and dimensional tolerance analysis. You will assemble early prototypes, travel to China to support engineering builds, and solve problems on the assembly line.
- At least 5 years of experience in production part design utilizing a variety of engineering materials
- Experience leading and mentoring engineering teams to produce innovative products
- Good engineering fundamentals (beam bending, free body diagrams, GD&T, etc...)
- 3D and 2D CAD skills (NX preferred)
- Solid verbal and written presentation skills (Keynote or Powerpoint)
- Experience using spreadsheets to analyze engineering data (FAI/CPK, tolerance analysis)
- Experience engaging with manufacturers
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enhance Apple’s existing product lines and to enable new technologies. Delivering extraordinary Apple products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open-minded approach. We have a hardworking team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We work together in an alluring, customized lab where we design, engineer and develop the best products in the world. As a member of our reciprocal, cross-functional design team, you will be responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new products. As a team, we are responsible for creating Softgoods products in new product categories. In some instances we travel to our suppliers, but it is very minimal, and usually planned in advance.
Education & Experience
MSME/BSME or equivalent