Engineering Manager, External Analytics Visualization Apps, Apple Media Products
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Apple Media Products (AMP) team is an exciting environment and a fast-paced development organization. With customers in 155 countries, we are a thriving marketplace for products like Apps, Video, Music, Books.. Our External Analytics Visualization Apps team is responsible for providing external content providers (e.g. music artists, app developers, etc.) with views onto some of the data collected by our larger analytics organization. These applications provide data visualizations such as graphs, charts, etc., and the ability for users to explore their data in many different ways. These applications typically run on both web and iOS and are developed to Apple’s high standards of usability and elegance, all while ensuring our end users’ privacy. Application examples include: - Apple Music for Artists portal which provides Apple Music artists visibility into data such as song plays, chart position and movement, insights into milestones, geographic context, etc. - App Analytics portal which provides Apple App Store developers with a better understanding of their apps’ usage, performance and discovery of their app in the App Store (e.g. via search, browse, etc.), as well as unit sales, etc. As the engineering manager responsible for all of these products, you would be at the center of product innovation and delivery. We are looking for a data engineering leader who can manage engineering teams that support this growing list of vertical applications. The manager should be be highly technically competent, while at the same time being able to delegate to leaders within each of the vertical teams. The role will require a strong ability to create leverageable code and systems so that we can more quickly create and manage our growing list of vertical visualization apps. The manager will need to partner with our data pipeline teams to ensure the correct data is collected and then provided in a manner which is consumable by these visualization applications. The teams under this manager are responsible for the full tech stack of these applications, both front-end and back-end The manager will need to work closely with Product, Design, QA, and data teams to deliver top-notch visualization experiences. Ours is a fast-growing organization, providing you with the opportunity to lead and grow teams of world class engineers, and provide key products used to understand and improve the experience for millions of Apple customers. The projects you and your team will be working on will be truly impactful. You will have freedom to innovate as you work closely with our partners to see the big picture, and design innovative ways to deliver the results.
- You like problem-solving in a highly collaborative environment.
- You’re ambitious and willing to take action, but not stubborn. You recognize when you're wrong and move past your own mistakes.
- You’re not afraid of hard conversations and sharing your perspective.
- You’re a natural leader but your team & colleagues see your humility.
- You’re not a micro manager. You prefer to give context, delegate, and watch amazing people exceed your hopes and expectations.
- You listen and communicate well.
- You have excellent software design UI and UX sensibilities and like to produce clean, simple, and valuable products for your users.
- Engineering: You have strong development background and can provide technical leadership to the team. Capable to contribute to design and development of complex data engineering problems. Be able to provide feedback and collaborate with the team, perform code reviews. - Operations: These products are critical to our users’ business so must be kept running, available, and scalable. - Partnership: You establish strong relationships with both business and technical leaders across organizations. - Evangelism/Growth: You are ambitious and work hard to create additional opportunities for you organization by working with other teams and spearheading new data visualization efforts and products. - Recruiting: We are a fast-growing organization, so you will be responsible to find talent and have ability to recognize and attract top-tier engineers to your team. You understand the importance of building an amazing team and the value it brings to the overall company. - Mentor: You will need to work with both managers and ICs on your team to help them develop and succeed in their contribution to Apple and your products, as well as providing guidance and assistance for their career goals. - Visionary: You intuitively understand business and technology and you leverage that to guide a team providing relevant context and inspiration.
Education & Experience
B.S. or higher in Computer Science or equivalent