Product Safety Engineer - Battery
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! Do you care about how products perform, what makes them delightful yet ensures they’re safe and user-friendly in the deepest sense? Do you ever consider what care, attention, and intention gets put into Apple’s products that upholds user trust and confidence? The engineering team in Apple’s cutting-edge Product Safety department is responsible for ensuring all products we release meet international safety standards and regulations, but also meet those requirements that befit Apple’s brand and the highest expectations. Our mission is to ensure that Apple products are safe for use throughout the world and also comply with worldwide safety requirements. We’re looking for a talented Product Safety Engineer with relevant expertise in Battery Technologies and Energy Storage development. This role is one that needs someone who understands the complexities and technical nuances of Battery Systems and their corresponding elements.
- You have 5 to 10 years of experience in consumer electronics, transportation technologies, medical, military, space technologies, or reliability engineering experience.
- You possess expertise, relevant work and/or research experience in Battery Design, Test and Evaluation, Process Engineering, and/or Manufacturing.
- You have deep knowledge of Battery Cell and/or Battery Management (Electronics) System design, with strong preference for electrochemical design or pack protection circuitry and management systems.
- You have experience with, or knowledge of, core Safety requirements in IEC/US/EN/CSA standards, along with applicable test procedures, equipment, methods, and certifying agency requirements and best practices.
- You ideally have experience in conducting dFMEA or pFMEA and Safety fault tree analyses.
- Possess superior communication skills, both spoken and written; strong teamwork skills and ability to communicate across variety of audiences.
- Proven ability and judgment to interpret requirements, apply standards, and relate knowledge to situations and challenges to develop solutions.
- Experience in partnering with vendors and third-party bodies/agencies to develop, evaluate, validate, and qualify new designs or bring to commercialization. Able to negotiate, strike agreements, and resolve conflicts independently.
- High hunger factor, calm under fire, and resilient even under challenging circumstances. Proclivity towards action and creative problem-solving.
- Able to travel without restriction, up to 20% of the time, as this team’s work requires periodic on-site vendor/factory engagement to address anticipated (and unanticipated) project demands.
- Foreign language proficiency highly desirable.
- The Product Safety Group seeks a high-energy, poised and detail-oriented engineer with a background in battery development or the development of battery powered devices and electrical/electronics engineering to support safety engineering and standardized testing of innovative consumer products. - In this role, you will apply a deep understanding of Battery design, testing, manufacturing, and integration towards the qualification and commercialization of modules designed for Apple’s world-class products. - We expect you to comprehend, interpret, apply, and use Battery Safety international and regional standards to guide, drive, and validate Apple designs. - We will rely on you to develop, refine, and execute Safety test plans and qualifications needed to evaluate design conformance to international, region, and Apple-internal specifications. - You know how to apply scientific methods, conduct failure analyses, and support field capture investigations to determine failures modes and their root causes. - We partner with suppliers and third-party agencies or laboratories to evaluate product safety across Battery modules and their integration into product systems. You will play a key part in the development of test plans and their execution. - In driving FMEAs with cross-functional team, you will be responsible for identifying potential Safety risks and associated mitigations/solutions. We look up to you to advise and influence the course of new designs. - We work closely with multi-functional teams, such as Reliability and Ops/Manufacturing, to identify manufacturing risks and processes that could introduction potential defects resulting in safety issues.
Education & Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) is required - Advanced degree in Battery Cell Development or Pack Electronics high desired