Senior Manager, Core Technologies Automation Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- 10+ years in an engineering role with experience in automation equipment used for alignment, assembly and/or measurement of components
- 5+ years of people management and technical leadership experience
- Strong work experience in precision assembly, inspection and automation equipment
- Required to understand and build tolerance analysis for parts and assemblies
- Knowledgeable in crafting machine qualification requirements, design of experiments and failure analysis
- Understands machine qualification including calibration, correlation, capability, repeatability and reproducibility
- Able to communicate effectively in a worldwide environment
Responsible for designing precision assembly and measurement processes for Apple products. Perform the research and development on new technologies necessary to tackle complex assembly and automation problems that have direct impact to the quality and delivery of Apple products. Design, implement and successfully scale automated and semi- automated solutions based upon sound engineering principles and the technologies developed for a specific application. • Develop new and or improved processes through the application of theoretical and practical engineering • Keeps abreast of all meaningful technical trends and developments and incorporates them in appropriate assignments • Provide direction and mentorship to third party machine/automation suppliers and/or CM’s; be the technical leader and driver on owned projects; serve as a technical resource to other engineering groups and project leaders • Organize cross-functional reviews of the machine requirements, design, qualification and capability • Create Request for Quotation/Proposal (RFQ/RFPs) that documents the design requirements of the automated equipment, delivery schedule, required documentation and qualification for acceptance at machine supplier facility and contract manufacturer’s factory • Engage machine suppliers for automated equipment design reviews and proposals • Ability to travel internationally up to 40% • Travel to the machine supplier and contract manufacturer for equipment bring-up, qualification, acceptance testing and support during build events • Drive machine qualification including correlation, process capability (CP/CPK) and Gage Repeatability / Reproducibility (GR&R) • Drive failure analysis and machine issue resolution when working with machine suppliers and contract manufacturers • Run equipment experiments to bound the capability of the machine • Responsible for data analysis reports to communicate machine capability to the multi-functional teams Performs assignments in several of the following manufacturing engineering functions: • Design for Manufacturability - Provide early and on going manufacturing involvement to ensure new products are mechanically manufacturable. • Product Engineering - Works all phases of a product from concept to repeat manufacturing to end of life. Provides production support engineering with respect to technically complex testing methods, procedures and failure analysis. • Process Engineering - Designs and develops technically complex processes to improve quality and efficiency. Utilize statistical tools (such as GR&R, SPC and Cp/pCk) to ensure processes/fixtures are scalable and are continuing to perform properly once qualified. • Failure/Data Analysis - Plans, develops and implements technically complex procedures for the testing and evaluation of soon to be released products. Specifies test to be performed, compiles data and makes recommendations for product design changes and final assembly standards. This will include the use of Design of Experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis using Six Sigma principles.
Education & Experience
BSME or equivalent (MSME desired)
- • New product introduction and Manufacturing Operations experience desired
- • Proven track record of cost reduction, project management and engineering design required
- • Working knowledge of GD&T principles favorable
- • NX, SolidWorks CAD or ProE experiences a plus
- • Knowledge of optics principles as they relate to CCD cameras, 2D and 1D lasers, and their use for positioning and critical alignment machines
- • Basic understanding of liquid adhesives, PSA’s and VHB’s a plus
- • Working knowledge of robotics (6-axis and/or SCARA), pneumatics, servo motors, motion controllers, PLC and and PC-based control systems
- • JMP, Minitab & Six Sigma experience preferred
- The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.