Acoustic Mechanical Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience - Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Our Audio Transducer Design team is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer with strong design skills and wide-ranging manufacturing knowledge. The candidate will partner with acoustic engineers, work with cross-functional teams and direct contract manufacturers to help design and build Apple’s next generation of speaker modules.
- Ideally, 3+ years of hands-on product design experience with consumer electronic products/modules in a high-volume production environment
- Direct product design experience with small/micro electromechanical assemblies is highly preferred
- Expertise in 3D CAD and 2D drawing, UG/NX preferred
- Disciplined in GD&T practices with close attention to datum establishment
- Understanding of tolerances analysis techniques and FAI/CPK/SPC data reports
- Experience in designing injection molded and progressive stamped parts
- Wide-ranging knowledge of basic engineering materials and the material selection process
- Proactive problem solving, including root cause analysis and DOE creation
- Capable of working with and driving actions in assembly and part production facilities in Asia
- Understanding of tool design and how it affects the way parts are designed
- Knowledge of material analysis methods such as DMA, DSC, stress strain relationships
- Experience with process design and automation
You will be responsible for all aspects of the mechanical design of the transducer module from plastic assemblies, metal stampings to driver components. You will apply an inventive design approach that creates the needed acoustic cavities, ports and frame structure for the transducers, an approach that is just shy of impossible to make for the mold tooling engineers and miniaturizes plastic to plastic/metal joints to create air-tight seals. Your role will involve working collaboratively with contract manufacturers and cross-function teams within Apple to develop new materials, processes and design approaches. This includes performing failure analyses and design of experiments (DOEs) to find design solutions and drive corrective actions.
Education & Experience
Most of the engineers in our team have advanced degrees in Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in product design, we still want to hear from you. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.