Linux DevOps Engineer
Sacramento, California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, phenomenal ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Edge Services Retail Engineering team is looking for a Linux DevOps engineer with phenomenal interpersonal skills who is self motivated about improving existing systems, and also passionate about solving complex business problems. You will work with a small, tight-knit team of fun, creative and hardworking engineers. The group’s charter is to deliver great platform experiences and reliable network services to the nearly 500 million people that visit Apple’s 510+ retail stores worldwide, including store employees. This work involves leading global deployments for Linux based servers, supporting virtualized computing environments that run content caching services (CDN), software based network routers and firewalls, virtual DNS appliances, DHCP and other critical services. A strong background in hardware/operating system performance tuning/optimization, networking, servers and components, and system level debugging is critical to success in this role. Excellent communication skills and being a collaborative team player are strong requirements to be productive.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is a requirement
- Must have at least 7 years of production experience as a Linux/UNIX systems administrator
- Detailed knowledge of Linux (any distro, but especially RHEL) utilities and programs
- Expertise related to DevOps engineering including version control systems (Git, SVN), automated build and testing (jenkins, vagrant), configuration management (e.g. Puppet, SALT, Ansible)
- Experience with Linux based server virtualization (KVM, Xen, containers)
- Experience automating workflows with Python, Perl, or Ruby
- Strong debugging skills a must.
- Knowledge of IPv6, DNS and DHCP is a plus
- Knowledge of hardware and tuning performance to meet specific performance goals is a plus.
- Shown knowledge of the operating system networking stack, TCP/IP, Linux bridges and network interface drivers is highly desired
Your primary responsibility will be to deploy and handle computing servers and virtual operating environments running critical services such as virtual network routers and firewalls, DNS, DHCP, and Content Delivery Networks / CDN at Apple retail stores worldwide and beyond. The role will involve evaluating business requirements , implementing solutions, automating of workflows, maintaining servers, tuning performance, implementing server monitoring, and performing other traditional UNIX server sysadmin tasks such as security, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, and SSL cert management. You will have autonomy to drive changes in accordance with our change management practices, and participate in the implementation of new solutions into production with minimal impact to operations. You will also be collaborating and coordinating with other internal business groups and external partners.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or MS in Computer Science or related field or 12+ years of experience in lieu of degree