Data Engineer, Retail Business Intelligence
Austin, Texas, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — we craft the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that supports the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple and help us leave the world better than we found it. Do you love problem solving and thinking beyond an obvious solution? Do you thrive in ambiguity and teams where little guidance fuels your creativity? The Retail Business Intelligence group is looking for a Data Info Analyst / Data Engineer to define, develop and maintain easy-to-query certified datasets and reporting tools that will support downstream dashboards and analysis. Acting as the data SME for multiple subject areas, your tasks will include working closely with IT and downstream customers to drive for optimal data collection and delivery throughout ongoing projects. A passion to understand the process of data creation, from the source systems to reporting objects is critical.
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- 7+ years of data extraction experience
- Should be proficient in writing advanced SQL and tuning SQL code
- Semantic layer (ESL) development experience with relational databases such as Oracle/Teradata/Vertica/Hadoop desired
- Experience with data induction and validation against source systems
- Experience working in Capital Projects a plus, including writing requirements and executing UAT
- Expert at normalizing data for reporting
- Strong analytical skills; should have the ability to evaluate, analyze and present data to answer business questions
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g.: Tableau) a plus
- Familiarity with Finance, Operations, Retail Contact Center data desired
- Desire for end-to-end ownership of work
- Flexibility to balance directional changes and ability to support multiple deadline-specific projects while maintaining day-to-day business support
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Proactive, driven individual who is comfortable working in a global, matrixed, fast-paced environment
- Ability to build effective relationships in a multi-functional team environment
Working in a centralized organization, this position plays a substantial role in defining how data is structured, organized and evaluated for consistent understanding and interpretation. A key success factor for this role is the ability to understand diverse partner needs, dive deep into the data, analyze complex elements in a multi-dimensional fashion and deliver significant insights to senior management and business partners in a comprehensive and persuasive manner. You will: - Engage in business initiatives and capital projects to ensure the planned impact of changes will be measurable. - Execute unit integration and UAT (user acceptance testing) to support system implementations and upgrades. - Define how data is structured, organized and interpreted by building certified datasets for consistent analytics and reporting. - Develop web reports and analytical tools. - Provide consultation and training to users of analytical tools and data sets. - Define, build and deploy relevant metrics and perform ad hoc analyses.
Education & Experience
BS Computer Science or Mathematics, or relevant experience. Advanced degree a plus.