PPO Optical Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are looking for a world class optical engineer to join a team that is making a big difference in the future of Apple. You will be part of a team that works to identify, incubate, prototype and productize new display technologies,. This role will cover a broad range of responsibilities including architecting new display systems, developing custom metrology solutions for complex optical modules, and working with suppliers to productive these technologies. The team features a diverse engineering roster including optical engineers, human perception experts, product design engineers, and experimental physicists. We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly self motivated and independent. A successful candidate needs to be a flexible thinker and be able to problem solve outside of their respective technical area.
- Strong technical background in optics fundamentals, particularly in geometrical optics, imaging optics design, diffractive optics, polarization concepts and optical measurement techniques.
- Strong background in sequential and non-sequential ray tracing for optical design, tolerance analysis and stray-light modeling (Zemax, Light-tools, CodeV, or similar)
- Competent with building optical setups in the lab, using metrology equipment and automating data acquisition platforms.
- Motivated to be responsible for a wide span of engineering activities from incubating new ideas to productization, including simulations, prototyping, supplier management, engineering build support and executive presentations.
- Strong presentation and communication skills. Ability to simplify complex problems and concepts to clearly communicate across cross-functional teams.
Influence product-level decisions using tools and methods such as optical simulations, prototyping, metrology development and lab characterization Build complex optical models including ray tracing, polarization optics and color analysis to propose new optical architectures and new onto-mechanical measurement capabilities Build bench-top setups to characterize prototypes, evaluate their optical performance and correlate simulations against measurements to establish field performance in order to fine tune the accuracy of predictive models. Identify and implement optical metrics and specifications to deliver performance that matter to customer perception. Analyze architecture trade-offs among performance, manufacturability, schedule and cost. Define and build custom metrology solutions for complex optical systems, and effectively communicate their limitations/capabilities to cross-functional teams and high level management. Develop measurement methods and equipment that are repeatable, reproducible, and automated as appropriate to enable thorough validation coverage on tight development schedules. Work with suppliers and support engineering build activities including travel to manufacturing sites, performance validation measurements, and failure analysis coordination. Diagnose engineering issues with true scientific method, driving to definitive root cause, in close collaboration with cross-functional team members. Prepare and deliver executive presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies. Spearhead proof of concept investigations to assess feasibility and suitability of new display optics technologies.
Education & Experience
M.S. or Ph.D. in Optical Sciences, EE, Applied Physics or equivalent. 3+ years of industry experience in related fields.
- Experience in shipping successful products in consumer electronics space
- Experience in designing and characterizing optical systems and displays
- Experience managing domestic and international vendors