Multimedia Standards Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Do you want to shape the future of technology? Does shaping the future of multimedia appeal to you? Apple’s Multimedia Engineering Team is looking for a standards engineer who will represent the voice of Apple Multimedia in standards bodies around the world. In this role, you will join a small team that is responsible for Apple engagement and leadership on such standards as the MP4 and HEIF file formats, and with systems-level technologies supporting video, audio, timed text (captioning), content protection, and web integration; and with bodies including MPEG, 3GPP, Alliance for Open Media (AOM), ITU, and others. You will collaborate with teams inside Apple and engage with international standards groups on multimedia standards.
- Knowledgeable in the multimedia field, especially systems technologies, and practical software development.
- Able to write and maintain reference software (C, C++).
- Experienced in key multimedia specifications from ISO, 3GPP, AOM, W3C, IETF, SMPTE, ITU etc.
- Enough knowledge of the media layer (video, audio, VR/AR, etc.) to be able to craft the systems support.
- Aware of the interaction of intellectual property and standards, and able to craft effective strategies that respect the rules.
- Writing, speaking, presentation, and other interpersonal skills are excellent.
- Standout colleague, able to communicate with affected groups across the company, be a valued partner and strong collaborator, and synthesize the best ideas into a coherent position.
- Excellent judgment and integrity with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Upbeat, adaptable, and results-oriented with a positive attitude.
- Self-motivated and proactive with proven creative and critical thinking capabilities.
- Can prioritize, drive, and track initiatives on a daily basis
- Passionate and dedicated to your job. You are committed to Apple’s vision and to advancing the state of the multimedia industry.
As a standardization engineer, you will represent Apple in the international standards community, providing a clear position on our analysis of ongoing standards, refining and commenting on work in progress, proposing and driving to completion Apple initiatives, and in general steering the work to develop the field in line with Apple's vision and values. THESE STANDARDS INCLUDE: - ISO standards, particularly 'systems' standards from MPEG and JPEG. - Web standards such as HTML media integration, timed text, and related technologies. - Cellular multimedia standards, specifically the work of 3GPP SA4. - Accessibility standards that apply to multimedia. - IETF specifications that apply to multimedia. - Other standards bodies as needed: CTA, AOM, ITU, SMPTE, ETSI, ATSC, ATIS, HbbTV, DVB, etc. You will represent Apple at numerous meetings every year, integrating the feedback of the Apple community on the ongoing work and representing that at the meetings. You will lead investigations to define our strategic direction for upcoming standards initiatives. You will work closely with multi-functional project teams to identify priorities, develop strategies, develop strategic plans, and execute them once they have buy-in. You will serve as a member of the multimedia team at Apple, advising the rest of the company on standards and developing standards, and you will link your colleagues with appropriate resources. This position requires substantial travel.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Expertise in the following areas is a plus but not required:
- - Able to maintain the content of web sites
- - Familiar with software development tools including XCode, Git, etc.